4runner prospect, need advice

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Found a '95 4runner, 4wd auto, with almost 250k miles on the clock, but the body is straight and clean. no fender rot and absolutely no frame damage, but the engine is totally shot.

Seller said it had been knocking for a while and one day while driving, the knocking sound started to increase while power decreased. Finally stopped running with white smoke coming from under the hood (approx. 2 weeks ago). I got around to looking at it today and checked for signs of a BHG (read that the 3vz has as much trouble as the 7m, apparently the recall confirms that).

Hardly any oil in the pan (1/8 inch oil on the dipstick, enough to cover the tip) but what was there didnt look like it was mixed with coolant. I think it might have separated now though sitting for two weeks, if anything happened.

No coolant in the radiator but the end tank had quite a bit of green buildup on the outside (looked almost like battery corrosion). Little to no coolant in the overflow res either.

I'm guessing the knocking would be a rod bearing that ate it or worse. Any way to check if the engine is seized (socket on crank?) The loss of power made me wonder if compression dropped due to a head gasket leak also. I think right now draining the oil and putting fresh in the crankcase/refill coolant with a compression test would tell me if all cylinders are functioning, but still looking for advice.

Thanks!