$425 For Rebuilt Head

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
My dad just bought a head for his pos ford van.So when they went and picked it up i had my mechanic buddy quote me some head work while he was there with my dad.
Hes said they would mill the head for mg,New valves, retainers, seats, 3 angle valve job, mild p&p,check all clearances and probly something else im forgetting for $425. Does sound like a fair price. Im close to being able to get it done minus the cost of a hg.It sounds like good investment to me.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Hmm....last machine shop i went to quoted me £600 to rebuild the head to Stage 1 spec - light skim, port & polish, new oversized valves & recut seats.

There is a guy in the UK that i know through a friend that used to work on the Brabham F1 engines, he still does odd jobs every now and then - might be worth him taking the engine out and having a go at it. Certainly cant hurt to have an uber-pro have a look :D

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
That's what I paid here in Calif at the 'good' machine shop in town. They've been there over 50 years. They also adjusted the valves, so all I had to do was bolt it down.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Just curious which shop gave you that price, since we're local and I had head work done myself a few months ago? If you go ahead with it and they do good work I'll want to keep their name in my back pocket for later on in case I need it. (OMG hopefully not...)

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
LouKY said:
Just curious which shop gave you that price, since we're local and I had head work done myself a few months ago? If you go ahead with it and they do good work I'll want to keep their name in my back pocket for later on in case I need it. (OMG hopefully not...)

Im not sure to be exact, i will have to check with my friend as im sure my dad wont remember the name of the place. Soon as i find out ill let you know.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I'm looking at ball park of $500 to get the entire head reworked. Valves, valve seals. He's going to make the head flat for 35$. So I need to order an hks beaded 2mm MHG and some ARP studs.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I think I ended paying around $225 to have my heat resurfaced and checked for any cracks plus installing new valve seals. Not what I would call a full rebuild, though.

Jazzsaxman - the costs got to me too. Three weeks of my car out of commission and $700 - $800 by the time I bought gasket kit, ARP's, tools, shop supplies, and paid the machine shop. Still beats the hell out of another $1,000 in labor, though.

Last edited:

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
louky - yeah. It's expensive. But hell, that's why the mk3's are money pits...

fotosoup - basically it is- because if the surfaces aren't basically perfect, they won't seal. That's why a lot of people use brake quiet or similar stuff on them- to fill in the imperfections in the metal.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i paid 553 for most of that minus the p&p

i had 7 vavle guides replaced, 3angle grind on all vavles, had the valves put under vaccume to check for leaks. hot tank.. re-assmble head

he also checked all my springs for proper seat pressure, and set the vavle lash. along with a ra of 25 done.

so i would say your getting a steal.

just the milling on my head cost me 45 or so atleast , thats why i chose him he was cheaper then a few other places but does good work,.