4 weeks, $2000, and that $%*@ crankbolt from hell

noredline

Yeah, I'd stands on that.
Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
How does one give a proper introduction to such a great community of people? I have posted here on a few occasions in the last month and have been met with a great amount of help from all sorts of members on the forum, for this I thank everyone. As for me, my name is Mike and I purchased my addiction….sorry Supra in late September. I purchased it from one of my best friends that has owned it for the last 7 years for $1300, he said that it wasn’t running and that he was sick and tired of it and being that he has his Corvette wanted it to go to someone that would take care of it. The following was done by his dad, him, and myself as mostly a spectator trying to take in as much knowledge as possible.

1. Triangular head job
2. ARP head bolts
3. Fel-Pro head gasket
4. New starter
5. New water pump
6. Aftermarket shocks and struts
7. Aftermarket coilovers
8. NGK Iridium spark plugs
9. NGK wire set
10. HKS super sport exhaust
11. 3” down pipe
12. 3” custom exhaust piping
13. Ebay strut bar
14. Gatorback belts all around
15. Idler pulley
16. New upper and lower radiator hoses
17. Stainless steel brake lines
18. Brembo drilled and slotted rotors
19. Kumho Ecsta tires
20. Unknown brand of aftermarket rims
21. Replaced TPS
22. New leather shift boot
23. New leather e-brake boot
24. New leather center console cover
25. Black w/ red stitching leather shift knob

When I got the car my roommate and I were able to get it running on the first try with a new battery. However it would not hold idle until it was warmed up. I did some research and checked the timing belt and came to realize that the timing belt had come half way off the cam gears and was rubbing on the upper timing cover. So than began a 4-week timing belt job due to one item that I will curse for, for the rest of my life, the evil crankshafts bolt. My friend and his dad had apparently put that crankshaft bolt on with a nice 80-gallon air compressor, which caused much cursing. In the end I ended up having to tow it down to a shop for them to spend 10 seconds to remove the bolt with an impact wrench, which ran me $45 alone. As of Saturday 11/11/06 at 8:21PM it started again and runs. Getting this car running was like the first time I was drunk, it took a lot and I still felt the effects in morning. The problem that we did run into is that my friend Adan accidentally broke the clip on the number #1 spark plug wire so it is ghetto rigged on till I can find a shop locally that carries a set of spark plug wires. Also, and why my friend that owned the car before me did this I still have no clue, he put Bosch platinum spark plugs in it, so it has a miss going on right now in the engine. Also I need to do the rest of the general maintenance being that it was sitting at his house for about 6 months un-driven.

My plans for the car is to first make sure that all the general maintenance is done first and then I want to focus on cooling, Koyo/Fluidyne radiator, Sparco intercooler, intercooler piping. Then I plan on tackling the fuel side of things, larger upgrades and Walbro fuel pump. Turbo timer and boost controller will be well before this also to make sure that I have ready to accept more boost when I do turn it up. I have set aside the ability to do at least 1 purchase every paycheck for the Supra, and I will keep this thread updated with what is going on for the few….mainly to make me feel special. I will update with more pictures once I get home from work.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and no the oil is not from the supra, it is from one of our other cars
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Great find for thirteen hundred dollars. I wouldn't change the intercooler out first though, unless you're just wanting some blinb bling. I've read that the stock intercooler is good for up to 400hp. I would definately make sure the motor is good and strong and then upgrade the fuel and maybe a lexus afm or something equivalent. Then I'd have the turbo upgraded. I have the Apexi AFCII on my car and love it, but I know their are better products out there. Good luck with your project, and try to stay positive. Sometimes you'll want to set it on fire and just laugh at it.....................that could just be me...........;)

noredline

Yeah, I'd stands on that.
Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
Small update and some more pics:

So took my car down for emissions, more or less to see where I was at being that I knew I would fail due to a current misfire. HC came out to 1.93 where acceptable is 1.60 and CO came out to 17.33 where acceptable is 15.00. All caused by the misfire, I need to put my NGK iridiums in there to get rid of the Bosch platinums that my idiot friend put in there...he says on accident. Here are some more pics, some of the engine bay and other random pics during timing belt work.

I'm hoping that fixes the miss fire....also need to dump some fuel injector cleaner in there (damn me for already filling the tank).

Attachments

• Photo_110406_001.jpg
    Photo_110406_001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo_111006_003.jpg
    Photo_111006_003.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo_111106_002.jpg
    Photo_111106_002.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo_111106_004.jpg
    Photo_111106_004.jpg