3uz 87

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
Im gonna sum this up pretty short, and will have pictures up on monday.

This is not MY personal car but a car I am building. I am a current student in the toyota TTEN program for toyota dealership tech training, and my teacher has a couple cars sitting in the back lot that we decided I could play with.

One is a 1987 Toyota supra hardtop. Interior is completely stripped, engine bay as well.
One is a perfectly complete 2002 Lexus LS430 with a 3uz.

Where I am at currently is the engine is bolted in the car, exhaust manifolds are on and ready for the rest of the exhaust. I am getting ready to dive into wiring.

Engine harness is installed on the engine and ran/plugged into ecu ready to go (its all pretty much self contained, which was nice). The wiring I do have to work with tho, is the fuse panels, and all the other BS that the Lexus had that the supra does not, skid control, abs, airbags, etc. There is a bunch of it.
With my trusty library of Factory Toyota and Lexus repair manuals and EWD's at my side, I started into labling the plugs and sub harnesses today so I can see what stays and goes.

This will be fairly slow going as I only get to work on it, at lunch, when I dont have any live work in the shop, or before and after school. Luckily curriculum this quarter is electrical so atleast I can still say I am working on the correct curriculum.

Stay tuned.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I'm wondering if the donor LS430 had that new style ECM that requires the correct key and anti theft ecu to run. If it doesn't them wiring shouldn't be that bad.

What transmission is going behind this beast?

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
It does indeed have that ecu, BUT, I have all of that aswell, and it will be available if it needs to be wired in...maybe a full dash swap out of the lexus as well? who knows. I cross that bridge when I get there. Having my class/shop be setup exactly as a toyota dealership, we have the programs on our scan tools to bypas factory security systems aswell, so thats another option.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
85celicasupra;1638546 said:
It does indeed have that ecu, BUT, I have all of that aswell, and it will be available if it needs to be wired in...maybe a full dash swap out of the lexus as well? who knows. I cross that bridge when I get there. Having my class/shop be setup exactly as a toyota dealership, we have the programs on our scan tools to bypas factory security systems aswell, so thats another option.

Pssh! If you have that scan tool you should be gold! :icon_bigg

I found when looking through the EWD for a 1994 SC3/400 that doing a dash wiring swap would be a pain as both cars have plenty the other doesn't have. I'm sure you have realized that even more so with the newer donor.

Wasn't the LS430 a front sump engine?

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
The 430 was donated to the program in 2003 when it was a new model for the students to learn on. Because it was donated by toyota/lexus to the toyota program they either have to keep it or crush it.

The tranny will be the factory 6 speed auto with sport shifting. and Yes the 3uz factory is a front sump, and is staying a front sump. This means a 2-3 in cowl hood is going to be made to accommodate the extra height. That is where the body shop at the community college (where my toyota tten program is ran through) will get to do their share on the car aswell.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
why not just make it a mid sump

littel cutting and weldwith te oil pan and littel work with the oil pick up tube

be hole lot easyer i must say

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
I might be able to make it to some meets next year with it..would have to talk to my instructor about it.

as for the oil pan, the engine is already mounted as it should be and will only need a small cowl, which is a good visual upgrade as well.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
p1640817_1.jpg

p1640817_2.jpg

p1640817_3.jpg

p1640817_4.jpg

engine harness is completely self contained which is nice...so all I have to sort is the fuse/junction blocks/power distribution and some sort of ignition.

A little off topic,

this is the single most pristine exterior of any mk3 I have ever seen. It has been stored inside in its own corner since the early 90's. Not a SPEC of surface rust ANYWHERE. Other than the 15 years of dust or so (which I hope to wash off soon) the body is absolutely perfect.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
That looks amazing already...just out of curiosity, was anything left in the supra at all? Wiring harness, rear end? Which begs the next question...think you'll need to change out the rear end on it due to the 6 speed? Or just make the corrections in the ECU so your (hopefully digital) speedo is correct and find out later?

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
limequat;1640831 said:
Megasquirt?
Option (because of my sponsors at DIYautotune.com) but last resort to get it running as right now the budget for the class does not permit it.

Bleakvoid;1640834 said:
That looks amazing already...just out of curiosity, was anything left in the supra at all? Wiring harness, rear end? Which begs the next question...think you'll need to change out the rear end on it due to the 6 speed? Or just make the corrections in the ECU so your (hopefully digital) speedo is correct and find out later?

No electrical left. But the suspension, brakes, and rearend of the supra remain, and are what is going to be used. No need to change out the rearend on it. Im pretty sure it has 410s or 430s as it was a NA...that paired with the 6 speed should be a good combo. As for a speedo, it it is gonna be an aftermarket one of some kind (along with all the other gauges probably).