3 warning lights!!!

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Okay I just rewired my knock sensors and now I have 3 warning lights on, the battery discharge light, brake light, and taillight failure light.
Ive had these before, and it was my alternator/ alt. wires that needed to be replaced. But now Im stuck on what to do. Everything is grounded per the TSRM.
The weird thing is that even the taillight failure light is on, I still have taillights, and even though the battery discharge light is on, I am still keeping just under 12 volts.
Has anyone had this similar problem? I searched around and found threads for each individual light, but nothing with all three related. Just looking for suggestions....Thanks!

Brandon

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
I was out messing with it and forgot to plug the alternator plug back in, and started it up and no more warning lights and the battery was charging beyond the 12V. I turned it back off and plugged it back in, but then the lights came back on....so Im stumped. What exactly does that plug do? I know its gotta be important, but it shocks me that it made everything go back to normal with it unplugged. Anybody have any ideas?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
doesn't matter...

if the alt goes into full load mode without someplace for the juice, it will fry the regulator. Bad regulator = 3 lights on dash. Same as if the alt belt snaps...

take it off and have a parts store test it, if it's bad, it should be covered from warranty (DON'T tell em you think you fried it, just tell em it stopped working)

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Well, the problem was occurring before I replaced the alternator and he tested it and it was only putting out a max amp. of 2.3. So I replaced it, the lights were coming on, before and after I got the new alternator. Did you read my post about the plug? It was weird, once unplugged, all the lights go off and the battery is charging normal.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
something sounds fishy... need the resident wiring expert in here, but I don't think it's good for your battery and may overcharge it...

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Yeah, I know right. It was weird because I was showing someone else my problem and voila!....no problem, then I saw that I forgot to plug the alternator in and when I did that problem returned. All I can find in the TSRM is that those wire go to fusible links or fuses, it doesnt really tell me what purpose they serve.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
2543arvin said:
I was out messing with it and forgot to plug the alternator plug back in, and started it up and no more warning lights and the battery was charging beyond the 12V.

That's not possible. No lights yes, in fact it should do that, but charging beyond 12 volts...not a chance.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Ok, so I need to troubleshoot the wires coming from the plug on the alternator. The wiring diagram shows two going to the fuse box in the engine bay and one going under the dash in the left fender. My question now is how should I troubleshoot these wires. What should I be measuring for(volts, ohms, etc)? Ive never claimed to be an electrician, but I just don't wanna take it to a mechanic and have them rip apart shit and charge me crazy amounts of money for something that could be handled with some help from you guys. I just need an idea of where to begin. Thanks everyone.

Brandon

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Poodles said:
what was it...

sorry, I had NFI on where the wires went or what exactly they did, but I knew they where needed...

Its cool, I didnt plan on letting anyone know, cause it seems that nobody paid any attention to this thread, but atleast you tried to help. Anyways, when I rewired the two black wires coming off the alternator (about a year ago) they became loose, and a friend pulled them apart by tugging on them. So I recrimped them and soldiered them as well. No more warning lights and charging just fine.