2T & 3T engine questions

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Any here have any experience with these little engines?

They are indeed pushrod engines right? Unless you get the nifty DOHC head?

With focus on the PUSHROD versions only, how much HP have you seen out of an NA 2T or 3T engine?

How many RPMs can these little suckers turn?

Is there enough meat on the block to bore one out to 2.5 litres?

Thanks guys and gals.

clos91T

Jun 29, 2008
Ocala, Florida, United States
My brother-in-law still loves playing with them. Alot of power can be had with some dual side drafts cam and port and polish. try this link to get some more info, I've always found them to be very helpfull.
http://paradiseracing.com

I recently had a 3TC-GTE, but sold it..... wish i had not. DOHC, fuel injected, lil turbo. Think is was rated at 160-170 hp

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
clos91T;1698233 said:
My brother-in-law still loves playing with them. Alot of power can be had with some dual side drafts cam and port and polish. try this link to get some more info, I've always found them to be very helpfull.
http://paradiseracing.com

I recently had a 3TC-GTE, but sold it..... wish i had not. DOHC, fuel injected, lil turbo. Think is was rated at 160-170 hp

Thanks for the info.
Im planning on seeing if its worth actually building one of these engines for the local open wheel club.
Engine would be dry sump, on alky, 12:1 or 14:1 compression and bored out to the biggest she would go (allowed 2.5 litres).
I really need to know how many RPMS a built version of one of these engines could turn.
I like the idea that the race parts are relatively cheap for these and the fact you can find engines locally.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
aphxero;1698508 said:
two words: Puerto Rico.

Hahaha, sooooo true. My first Toyota (of my own anyway) was my forum namesake, a TE72. 1980 liftback/fastback (whatever you call it, was cool in an 'ugly' sort of way), 5 speed, 3TC... fun times. I believe you'll find a good starting point here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_T_engine#3T

I'd believe an easy 200hp could be had out of the OHV version if built up. If you could find one of the GTE heads, probably even more. But call up Luis at Paradise Racing, they have a LOT of experience building the T engines, although last I heard, they've more recently moved into the 'modern' world of the 4AGE motors. :rofl:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not watching ^ that while I have to be stuck here at work. :p

Besides, my next toy is likely to be a 7 replica.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
clos91T;1700146 said:
7 replica.... with a 3TC???? nice!!!! lol i was looking at those, sounds like fun.

Didn't say that... for a car like that, you want the lightest possible engine with the highest possible output per pound... and for the price, I'd either be going with a Miata engine or S2000 drivetrain. 1300lbs with anywhere from 140-240 hp? Yes please. Just a pipe dream for now.

Find any of the info you were looking for MDC?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You might have to call them to get a better response. In the meantime, I'd hit up the guys on club4ag.com and see what they know, or if they know a better place to point you to.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I am currently build this
p1701979_1.jpg

eagle rods, pistons, gear drive, itbs, pushrods ,valves, buckets, headwork,all waiting for block to come back from the machine shop.