2JZGTE - VVTi in a Ma70 chassis.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I have been working on doing a swap in my 89 Supra.

Right now Im in the middle of doing the wiring harness.
I have been having trouble with finding the Pin out and wiring for the 98 2jzgte vvti Engine.
Also I have noticed when I had recived my engine that 3 of the wire plugs that go into the ecu (chassis harness plugs) were not included with the swap.
From what I can gather I have the A5 ecu and harness....?

I need help. Here are some pic's of the ecu

p1837082_1.jpg

p1837082_2.jpg

If any one can point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Thanks

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
Wow seems there is not alot of help these days on this fourm.?

At this point it seems I might be going in a differant direction and do a JDM supra ecu with vvti and doing my own harness and wiring.
If there is any one on this sight that has done this feel free to chime in at any time.
Thanks.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Just avoid the ECU's that have the immobilizer, I don't think there is any way to bypass it.

I don't know if there is any difference between the two as far as power/tune goes. I'm researching this swap right now too.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
destrux;1840127 said:
Just avoid the ECU's that have the immobilizer, I don't think there is any way to bypass it.

I don't know if there is any difference between the two as far as power/tune goes. I'm researching this swap right now too.

Immobilizer?

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
AE86BLISS;1839379 said:
Thank you. This helps out alot.

Question that still remains is it better to use the JDM Supra ecu or Aristo ecu? Any way I go about this I know that I'll end up making my own harness. I just want to make shure that I do it right the first time and with the right ecu.

I'm not sure if there's any difference. To be safe, I'd go with whatever your harness is.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
ifyouaint1sturlast;1840331 said:
I'm not sure if there's any difference. To be safe, I'd go with whatever your harness is.

The harness is from an Aristo vvti 2jz with an auto trans. I will be making my own harness. I just didn't know if one ecu is better over the other or not, I would just get the harness plug for what ecu is better to go with that and pin it my self. I will also be using the original trans that came with my Supra, the R154 5spd.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
AE86BLISS;1841128 said:
The harness is from an Aristo vvti 2jz with an auto trans. I will be making my own harness. I just didn't know if one ecu is better over the other or not, I would just get the harness plug for what ecu is better to go with that and pin it my self. I will also be using the original trans that came with my Supra, the R154 5spd.

I'm not sure the differences between the ECUs (if any)

As someone who's made their own harness before I can say it's very time consuming, and requires a lot of patience and research. Make sure you're ready for all of that before you tackle this project.

p1841130_1.jpg

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
ifyouaint1sturlast;1841130 said:
I'm not sure the differences between the ECUs (if any)

As someone who's made their own harness before I can say it's very time consuming, and requires a lot of patience and research. Make sure you're ready for all of that before you tackle this project.

p1842008_1.jpg

I'm ready for the project just trying to find out as much as I can at the moment. One thing I'm looking for is the Female Terminal connectors that go in the plugs. I plan on running all new wires and I have all the plugs but I would like to use new Terminals with the new wires. Any idea what the part number is or where I could find them?

TweakTech

Apr 3, 2012
Summerville, SC
There are 2 or 3 pins that are different between an Aristo VVTi and Supra VVTi GTE ECU. Figure out which ECU you are going to run, then adjust the harness accordingly. OR, you can set the harness up for a Supra ECU, that way if you ever do decide to run a Supra ECU instead of the Aristo, the wiring is already there for it. (that's what we do on our conversions)

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
TweakTech;1842338 said:
There are 2 or 3 pins that are different between an Aristo VVTi and Supra VVTi GTE ECU. Figure out which ECU you are going to run, then adjust the harness accordingly. OR, you can set the harness up for a Supra ECU, that way if you ever do decide to run a Supra ECU instead of the Aristo, the wiring is already there for it. (that's what we do on our conversions)

Thats the only problem I have , Should I run the Supra ECU or the Aristo ECU? I don't know what would be better out of the 2 and I don't want to loss the VVTI. I just sent the Harness to DR Tweak today and figured that would be the best bet. I'm still awaiting his call and I hope by then I will know what I need so I can relay that to him so he can make the harness for what I need.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
So is there any one who can tell me what I should do about the ECU? Aristo, or Supra ECU? I've been trying to search this and have found nothing. I would like to find out before Tweak get the harness and call's me. Any help would be great, or if there is a thread that I am some how not finding, some one please share the link.
Thanks.

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
Sorry to bring this back from the grave but did you ever get it figured out?!? I'm doing an aristo vvti into a 89 as well and now I'm trying to figure out wiring...

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
allen600;1940650 said:
Sorry to bring this back from the grave but did you ever get it figured out?!? I'm doing an aristo vvti into a 89 as well and now I'm trying to figure out wiring...

Your best bet is to send your harness to DR tweek.
I ended up getting my harness back from DR Tweak. The problem I've run into and still have is that with the auto Ecu, I'm hitting a 5500rpm brick wall. I still don't know how to get the car/ecu to let me get over this rpm. I don't know how to fix this problem and its driving me nuts.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
Is your car actually auto or 5 speed? As they made a VVTI 6 speed supra, that ecu would get you past any nonsense the ecu might be looking for with the transmission. (speed sensors, solenoid pressure, what gear its in, etc) That ecu might also be a bit more aggressive as its from a Supra and not a Luxobarge. I am thinking your present ecu may be in limp mode as its not getting info from the above components. As these engine sets got more complex as model years moved forward, so was their dependency on those sensors, there has to be some way id hope to get around them as people do with alot of 5 speed swapped originally auto 1jz and 2jz engines that are swapped in, albeit VVTI is quite rare.

Only other option is to look for a VVTI capable standalone.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
NecroCyde;1945388 said:
Is your car actually auto or 5 speed? As they made a VVTI 6 speed supra, that ecu would get you past any nonsense the ecu might be looking for with the transmission. (speed sensors, solenoid pressure, what gear its in, etc) That ecu might also be a bit more aggressive as its from a Supra and not a Luxobarge. I am thinking your present ecu may be in limp mode as its not getting info from the above components. As these engine sets got more complex as model years moved forward, so was their dependency on those sensors, there has to be some way id hope to get around them as people do with alot of 5 speed swapped originally auto 1jz and 2jz engines that are swapped in, albeit VVTI is quite rare.

My Supra came with a R154 trans and that is what I'm running with the 2jz. My 2jz vvti came with a auto trans. If there is any way around the 5500rpm wall I'm open to options and ideas.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
NecroCyde;1945388 said:

This is a pic of the only other ecu with my pin plug setup I've found for the vvti 2jz supra, but I can't seem to get my hands on one.

p1945568_1.jpg