2jzgte VVTI (Auto ecu) 89 Supra R154 Trans. Problem: 5500rev limit!?

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
Need some help.
I have a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo 5spd (R-154) with a 2jzgte vvti Swap.
Engine is from a 1998 Aristo with 2jzgte vvti Auto Trans.
Harness was done by Dr. Tweak

The problem I am having is, the engine will not rev over 5500. From what I understand is the auto ecu is causing this because, the ecu see's that it is in park or neutral and will not let it over rev. I can not get it fixed, besides a manual ecu (good luck) or a stand alone ecu.

I noticed that my car will only start with the clutch pushed in and rev over 5500 with it pushed in. So could I just ground the clutch pedal safty switch or is this not going to work? I understand that when the ecu thinks it is in gear it also gives the engine other fuel maps. So will this cause a problems and lean it out, if I ground the clutch pedal switch?

Last edited:

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
suspectsupra;1951739 said:
So when the clutch pedal is out it rev over 5500 rpms? Also is your (VSS) Vehicle speed signal wired connected?

With the clutch out it will not rev over 5500rpm. With the clutch pushed in, it will rev past 5500rpms. As for the VSS I'm not sure? I don't know if I would have to run a wire from my ecu some where because my speedo is ran by a cable and not from a electric signal

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
here to the rescue, although not sure if it will help. ive read through some forums and found something similar. have you grounded the NSW and STA wires? there is a thread a few post down "infamous 1jz breakup" and on page 10 post 91 he grounded these two wires and he can rev all the way now. here is the link that guy found the solution on also http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...igher-rpm.html