2jzge

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
I'm fixing to get a 2JZGE for a really good price and I was wondering what all is needed to make it like a gte? Internals wise.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
OBD1 GE motor share similar if not identical internals composition (compression and ring spacing is different, but pistions are just as strong, rods can be identical to GTE in some cases)..... 93-95 GE's have been documented to run 600 rwhp on pump gas. You will spend a lot of $$$ converting GE to GTE and have minimal gains.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
Then either way you are going with forged internals for the bottom end and not OEM GTE replacements? correct? As I'm sure you already know, the head design is different.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Just curious but why would you want to make a ge into a gte? Ive "heard" the ge's are better because the oil pressure is slightly higher than the gte's because no oil squirters
How much power are you looking for?

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Well I could get a different head. The only reason I'm getting the GE is because of how much I'm getting it for. I looking for as much power as I can get. 500+

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

I'm getting the GE and auto trans for $500

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Just take the GE NA-T. Take a look on Club Lexus--SC 300 forums. Also look at Boost Werks and their products. Also on here, you could talk to Seth about making you an NA-T kit. The only draw back on 600+ RWHP is the distributer and that can be compensated some what with an AEM EMS.

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
Yo the motors are identical besides the compression ( which is from the pistons) . I have a headgasket for mine the lowers the compression. Please ask yourself how much power u really want. Probzilla which u will read about when you go to club na-t .com was a stock bottom ge with headgasket making a little over 900hp with a 75 shot of happy gas. The motor finally went after like a 1yr or 2 of constant dragging. Any body who tells you o go gte don't have the slightest idea on what they are talking about. If u have a mk3 the ge is the way to go because you can use the 7m electronics. You are basically putting your 7m cps where the distributor goes on the ge head. The ge is just as capable as the gte. If you are going to do a serious build u won't need the oil squiters anyway

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The bottom ends are the same with the exception of the oil squirters, oil feed ports for the turbos, and pistons.

An important note regarding the oiling, is that because there are no squirters or turbo feeds (which are all on the exhaust side of the block), the oil passage linking the pump feed on the intake side and the exhaust side of the block is NOT drilled on GE blocks. If you are machining the block anyways, you could have this passage drilled to allow oil feed from the exhaust side, if not you will need to feed your turbo's oil from another oil port (sandwich plate, pressure sending unit port, VVT-i adapter bolt, etc.).

The crank and rods are the same on 2JZ-GTE's (VVT-i and Non-VVT-i) and the 2JZ-GE's (Non-VVT-i). The only 2JZ's with smaller rods are the VVT-i 2JZ-GE's.

After melting a piston in my brother's 2JZ-GTE, we used a 2JZ-GE block, all we lost was the squirters.

Jeff

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Jeff Lange;1605552 said:
The bottom ends are the same with the exception of the oil squirters, oil feed ports for the turbos, and pistons.

An important note regarding the oiling, is that because there are no squirters or turbo feeds (which are all on the exhaust side of the block), the oil passage linking the pump feed on the intake side and the exhaust side of the block is NOT drilled on GE blocks. If you are machining the block anyways, you could have this passage drilled to allow oil feed from the exhaust side, if not you will need to feed your turbo's oil from another oil port (sandwich plate, pressure sending unit port, VVT-i adapter bolt, etc.).

The crank and rods are the same on 2JZ-GTE's (VVT-i and Non-VVT-i) and the 2JZ-GE's (Non-VVT-i). The only 2JZ's with smaller rods are the VVT-i 2JZ-GE's.

After melting a piston in my brother's 2JZ-GTE, we used a 2JZ-GE block, all we lost was the squirters.

Jeff

Very useful thank you. I will probably end up doing the sandwich plate. or drill and tap at machine shop. No vvti out of a sc300

So the heads are the same?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
No, the heads are very different, as is the oil pump. The GTE uses a vastly different ignition control system, involving 2 single-tooth cam position sensors and a 12-tooth crank position sensor. The GE has a distributor and spark plug wires.

The intake and exhaust port spacing is completely different between the GE and GTE. The cams are also different (dizzy drive gear on the exhaust cam for GE, cam position teeth on the intake cam for GTE).

The bottom ends are very similar, beyond that the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE are quite different beasts. Once you get to the VVT-i versions of both, they are more similar, sharing the same ignition setups and cams, though the port spacing is still different.

Jeff