2jzge VVTI Questions

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
First I want to say I know about the stickies and have been through all of them and it did help a great deal but it also helped to confuse me in some crucial areas. I have spent the last 2-3 weeks probably more I can't remember exactly because my mind has been scrambling from researching so much on the 2jzge-t setups. I am going to be getting a 2jzge VVTI from a 98 SC300 from a friend he keeps his cars in mint condition and was driving his SC300 for a few days or so and said it was running great and strong, no leaks, etc. and it's being pulled out this weekend. I plan on swapping it into my MK3 but would like to fully understand the process of turboing a 2jzge VVTI from a 98 SC300 I have read that the later 2jzge VVTIs have coil packs instead of a distributor and I am not entirely sure what that means for me electronics wise. Also it seems like I won't need to do much to the motor to reach my goal of roughly 400 WHP and turbo it of course but is it worth going for my goal with this motor or is it cheaper and better to get a 2jzgte or 1jzgte instead? I have made my decision on going JZ and I know the 7M is capable of my goal but I just want a JZ motor instead, so please lets skip that discussion lol. One more thing I hear lots of mixed things about the later model 2jz VVTI motors having a weaker bottom end but since I am not shooting for 600+hp, that I know of at least lol, would it affect me? I am looking to being able to daily my car and tear up the track, which is the main reason why I am going for a 400hp goal also I don't want to ruin the car by making it uncomfortable, unreliable, etc. I want to continue enjoying it everyday. I sincerely do apologize if my questions have already been answered in the stickies but I like clear answers such as yes with a bit of explanation and as I have mentioned earlier all of this research has confused me a little bit on certain things. I am also looking for a responsive motor, so I will probably be replacing the pistons and rods to lighter ones that are stronger or as strong and various other things to help engine response. I have a 91 turbo 5 spd MK3 by the way.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Change the hg to a tt head gasket to lower the compression and its will be safer and more reliable to turbo.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
That much I know but don't you also have to change the pistons since those are also different between the GE and GTE motors?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dont have to change the pistons there just not as durable as the gte ones. You can boost them fine but i wouldnt be shooting 500hp on them.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I plan to change them anyway to lighter pistons that can handle more hp like i said for response and to have a lot of breathing room so the engine isn't running on edge it has a nice comfort zone.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I plan to start pricing and making a parts list but need some guidance on what to get like what to look for and brands if that makes a difference, with turbos and such I have read that they do make a big difference. Should I go with a T3 or T4 exhaust manifold and if so what kind, etc. I am still researching the stuff but I'd like to get some info from you guys since it would be like the ultimate customer review and I can know what to avoid and what to get or look for. Seems like Garrett turbos are tried and true and as far as I know they are the biggest name in the business, I've read mixed things with Precision. I am still reading up on ARs like what ratio is good for what so some info on that would help as well.

So far it seems I don't need to convert the intake manifold to an FFIM for my hp goal but I am still considering it to make it easier to change the spark plugs and make it look better. Also wouldn't it better to go that route for the intercooler or is the one sided intercooler fine for me?

The plan is when I get the motor to tear it down, replace the pistons with GTE pistons and rods, ARP bolts, 2.0mm metal head gasket, ARP head studs, maybe replace the oil pump with the TT pump, maybe replace the piston rings as well since I am already in there, change every gasket and seal, water pump, starter, hoses to SS lines with AN fittings when possible, replace old hoses and lines, have the head cleaned, get a valve job, new valves, bucks and shims, would porting the intake valves slightly be worth doing? I've read it would help with torque or something like that.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
I thought using a GTE pump on a GE pump causes oiling issues, which will cause either your front main seal or rear main seal to blow. I was told you should use the 96+ GE oil pump.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Anybody have anymore info? What would also help is laying out the major points like change rods and pistons, harness, use my 7mgte, TT MK4, or standalone ECU, fuel pump, can I leave the head alone other than the exhaust manifold, do I need an FFIM? etc. Something to help guide me a bit.