2JZGE into MX83 Cressida

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
Hi, I have an 89 Cressida and would like to make some more power, but like most people I'm cheap. I found a local company that parts out first gen GS300s and would make me a pretty good deal on a N/A 2jz, however he doesn't seem to know what all an engine set consists of. So my question is: What all is needed to put a 2jzge into my Cressida for as cheaply as possible and make full power from the 2jz?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Probably be better off turbo'ing the 7M for more power(alot easier than the engine swap.)If not you'll need engine,ecu,engine harness,bellhousing,flywheel, and IIRC motor mounts also.There may be more stuff needed to swap,that's all I remember off of the top of my head.You'll want to go through the donor motor and at least replace gaskets/seals too.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
The 2JZ isn't all that powerful as an NA either though.A NA-t swap on the 7M isn't that expensive,and can be reliable if your don't push it real hard.

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
ok lets put it this way, 2jzge will cost me around $140 to pick up, figured if I can get it in for under $1K, it'll be cheaper than going 2jzgte. Also at a later time I can go NA-T on the 2jz. However the engine is just that, engine from oilpan up to valve covers, no a/c, no p/s, no alt, no AFM/MAP/MAF (wtfever it is on the US 2jz).

I have seen swaps of people using 7m electronics on a NA-T using 7mgte electronics, I'm wondering how many of the 7mge electronics can be used on a 2jzge.

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
The guy's a tard, buys cars for like $900 and strips them, sells the shell as scrap and then parts everything out. The engine has 220K on the clock, and he's within an hour's drive from me so I can inspect the engine prior to anything. I just want to know what all I need to buy from him for the swap. I will be atleast partially rebuilding the engine (depends on what the cylinder walls look like as far as bottom end rebuild).

I'd love to do the same thing as this guy if I had the room, he makes around $3-8K per car he strips.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
So you don't want to spend a lot of money to turbo the 7M,but want to spend the money to swap a NA 2JZ in,which wont push much,if any,more power than the 7MGE.Unless you're dead set on having a 2JZ in your cressy,I would spend the 1k on the 7M that's already in the car,and go na-t(pretty cheap with used parts that are real easy to find in good shape.)Granted the 2JZ you're looking at is cheap,but it's relatively high mileage,and doesn't include all the rest of the stuff your gonna need for the swap.

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
ok u gonna need the 2jz, preferable from a gs300 because its already a front sump oil pan setup, jzx81 or jzx90 engine mounts, jz flywheel w/ arp bolts and a mk4 non turbo supra or sc300 5spd bellhousing if u wanna go 5spd, ecu, harness, and all the sensors and what not. the hardest part (if u dont do it urself the most expensive) is the wiring. as far as turbo'n the 2jz, the bottom is just as robust as the 2jzgte. u can run 400-500 on stock internals and stock headgasket. also you will need a 4runner dizzy cap for clearance issues. thats pretty much it everything is the same as turbo'n any other car.

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
toy fanatic78;1236572 said:
So you don't want to spend a lot of money to turbo the 7M,but want to spend the money to swap a NA 2JZ in,which wont push much,if any,more power than the 7MGE.Unless you're dead set on having a 2JZ in your cressy,I would spend the 1k on the 7M that's already in the car,and go na-t(pretty cheap with used parts that are real easy to find in good shape.)Granted the 2JZ you're looking at is cheap,but it's relatively high mileage,and doesn't include all the rest of the stuff your gonna need for the swap.

I agree, IF my 7m was in good shape, however it's not in really good running order and could probably stand a rebuild AGAIN. So the way I look at it, I can either rebuild my 7m + cost of going turbo, OR get the 2jz and rebuild it. Either way it's about the same cost to get the engine running at a decent power-level.

Right now it'll stay as automatic, until I can source the rest of the stuff needed for the 5spd swap. From what I've read and such the 2jz gets much better gas mileage than any form of 7m, so if nothing else that would be a great swap reason for me (until it goes turbo atleast), maybe the gas mileage would allow me to save up for turbo parts that much faster. Yes I know it's a stupid reason, but 99% of things that get people to do stuff is stupid reasons in hindsight.

I'm going to ask the guy what the harness, intake, ecu, p/s pump, alt, exhaust manifold, etc is going to cost on top of the engine. This is basically going to be my summer project between drift events in my 86.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Ahh,your OP didn't state the 7M was in need of a rebuild.Don't think the difference in mileage will be enough to matter much.I would make sure the guy isn't gonna rob you for the accessories and related parts.Is the 2J still in the lexus?Maybe have him let you hear it run,and do a compression test,you wouldn't want to have to replace pistons/bore over now if you plan on going na-t shortly down the road.
PS.Any pics of the Cressida(s),I kinda got a thing for them,like to see others.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
bishop40k;1236643 said:
Yeah, http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87212. I see you're not too far from me either, you should hit up IndianaDrifting.com (we do more than drift).
Ok,I had seen your Cressy in your intro post,didn't realize that was you,looks like a pretty clean car.Seems that body style is far more common than mine (MX63) are.
It's about 3 hrs. to Lafayette from here.I travel constantly during the summer,
maybe I'll swing through there sometime when the snow's gone,I don't like to drive my 2-tone Cressida in the snow,and don't trust the other one that much(crazy the one with over half a million miles is the better running car.)Good luck on the swap,keep us posted.
Here's mine:
p1236704_1.jpg

p1236704_2.jpg

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
Dakar shhh, jump back on ID. Engine should be here next week with engine stand, from there I will see what all I need to complete the swap using 7m electronics. Starting point is a budget build, will probably spend 6 months on my engine stand as I rebuild it and replace all kinds of things.

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
I was thinking of crashing the Indiana Supra meet in may. Either that or crash DriftIndy's first event lol.

Well you me and toy fanatic are actually NORTH of Indy, I'm about 3 hours south of Chi and he's about an hour or so east of CHI