2jz vvti cooling issue

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
ok,i have just finished my 2jz vvti swap into my 89 mk3. if is getting hot on me. my question. is the stock 7mgte radiator sufficient enough to cool the 2jz? i have 2 12" fans constantly running at the moment. i noticed with my single 1jz temps a little higher than they were with the 7mgte

but this is geting hot,and fast when driving in normal conditions. i have checked to make sure headgasket(pressure test) is not damaged,bled air system,checked all hoses and thermostat. so i want to say that it is the radiator not cooling enough. any input will be appreciated,thanks.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd be willing to bet its your fans. While having electric fans running at low speeds increases cooling, having them running all the time causes a restriction of airflow at higher speeds (not sure of the crossover point). Either put a thermostatic control circuit onto the vehicle to turn the fans off when they're not needed, or replace the electric fans with a clutch fan setup.

That said, if you're pushing more power than stock I'd recommend upgrading the radiator. Add in a new OEM thermostat, 50/50 Toyota Red coolant, and other good stuff like that.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My bet is on the e fans as well. switch back to a clutch fan. 2jzge clutch and blade works nice.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Thanks for the responses. I have already ordered a 3 row radiator,will also be getting a thermo switch. I will see if the e fans work out before I spend money that I may not need to. My 2j did not come with a clutch fan,but if the e fans don't work out then I will buy what I need. Spent this much on the swap,might as well do it rite!

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
ok,so,ummm..yea. after scratching my head and drinking alot of vodka,i decided to look at my car again..with it running after about 10 minutes,i for some reason decide to put my hand on the front or the radiator and noticed that the right side was cold,and the left side was hot...so some retard(me) did not wire the left side fan properly.it was blowing air out the front of the car instead of sucking it in....swapped the wires..cooling issue fixed. radiator arrived today and will be installed tomorrow.thanks for the help ppl! til next time!