2jz single guys, what engine management are you running?

Jaguar

Permanent Ban
Apr 4, 2005
SoCal
www.supramania.com
I am using a 1jz harness and 1jz ecu to run my 2jz-gte. SupraNick ran this same set up for years and was successful, and I believe that I will be successful as well. However, if/when I were to upgrade to a single, I am going to need to run some sort of tuning or engine management to get everything running right. Just wondering what you're using and why. I know that standalone is probably best, but what are the other set ups out there?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
if still running the 1jz ecu, I would look into standalone, it will safely control larger injectors needed for the single.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
AEM, Much better, I know its alot of money but if your gonna do it, do it right, plus you can run any size injector you want & the AEM will control it with out a problem.

Jaguar

Permanent Ban
Apr 4, 2005
SoCal
www.supramania.com
OneJoeZee said:
No standalone?

Emanage, Emanage Ultimate, S-AFC, VPC, GCC, Fcon, etc...

Take your pic.
Joe, could I just tune with an afc like the old 7M days? Seems overly simple. Why don't more guys do that?

Ric said:
MAPECU 2.

/done
Map ECU? Can you give me some more details? I've thought of this option, and I know the MKIV guys run the MAP ECU a lot but they are MAF whereas I am already MAP. Does it work if you're already MAP? I thought that you wired it to the AFM?

Jostar said:
AEM, Much better, I know its alot of money but if your gonna do it, do it right, plus you can run any size injector you want & the AEM will control it with out a problem.
yeah that aem is a lot of money. More than I would necessarily want to spend, but it is the best option.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Jaguar said:
Joe, could I just tune with an afc like the old 7M days? Seems overly simple. Why don't more guys do that?

Check out Drewgo's dyno thread. He made 468hp with just 550s and some AFC tuning at 20psi.

So it can be done.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
If you're not shooting for the stars, powerwise, yeah you can make power with an AFC setup. Could you make more with a standalone? Sure. But that's if it's worth it to you.

I'll be using just injectors + AFC when I upgrade as well.

You can always step it up to a standalone later on if you wanted.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
The 1J ECU is not a good setup for the 2J. The factory ECU is set for 380cc which will cause timing problems with larger injectors on a singled 2J. I opted to run a MKIV harness, MKIV ECU, and MAP ECU.

Chris

Last edited:

Jaguar

Permanent Ban
Apr 4, 2005
SoCal
www.supramania.com
Ric said:
^ That will be good for about 18-20psi boost max.

In other words, 550s are only good for 500whp. You don't even need the afpr for that, and the SAFC2 is fine.
Well 500rwhp and 18-20psi is all I need. IMO, anything over 500whp means standalone. Trying to make Ryan Woon power on piggy backs sounds like a recipe to go boom! :1zhelp: Not to mention a new $3,000 clutch, :nono: and more...

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Someone lied to you.

You can easily do 900+whp on a piggy back just as safe as any stand alone with alot more reliability.

Of course, theres only 1 piggy back in the world that can do that, and it's $200 bucks used.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Ric said:
Someone lied to you.

You can easily do 900+whp on a piggy back just as safe as any stand alone with alot more reliability.

Of course, theres only 1 piggy back in the world that can do that, and it's $200 bucks used.
Maybe on a mkiv, but not a 1jz ecu.. I wouldn't go over 550s Maybe 650cc injectors with a piggyback on the 1jz ecu..