2jz in my mk3

sbnryn15

Aug 11, 2007
monroe nc
i have a 87 n/a supra 5 speed, and i have a 2jz with an auto trans. it comes with a stand alone and uncut harness.

1st question: can i use me 87 n/a 5 speed trans
2nd question: what else would i need to complete this swap

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you can use the w58 you just need either a non turbo supras (MKIV) thats manuals bellhousing, or a lexus 2jz bellhousing (start looking at is300, sc300 junk yards thats the cheapest)

to complete the swap you need BIC motor mounts (180+shipping) or you need a 89+ subframe and 1jz motor mounts (cheaper way is the bic mounts but its really up to you as if you have a 89+ subframe you would just need 1jz motor mounts although they are hard to find and usually same price is the bic, and the pre 89's are better anyway with the bic vs the 1jz)

you need a 1jz (or mkiv 2jz) upper oil pan, lower oil pan, oil pickup and baffle. its easiest to just buy this from toyota but its definitally not the cheapest... will cost about 800$? more prolly~

then you need to wire it up... which well... good luck :) should be a bit *easier* with a stand alone

i feel like ive typed this before :)

sbnryn15

Aug 11, 2007
monroe nc
is it any years lexis?....... and am i going to need a new fuel pump, and if so what type should i get?..... i heard i should get walbro 250lb.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
sbnryn15 said:
is it any years lexis?....... and am i going to need a new fuel pump, and if so what type should i get?..... i heard i should get walbro 250lb.

as long as the engine is a JZ non turbo manual you can use the bellhousing.

fuel pump either use the walbro 255 or the mkiv supra turbos, the 255 is prolly going to be cheaper/easier to install in your mkiii.

there is also a search feature on our site i know i have written this at least 4-5 times the past couple of weeks hehe. also check out the stickies "wiring the 2jz into the ma70 chassis" has a lot of useful information as well.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
sbnryn15 said:
do any of you guy know where i can buy just a 2jz 6speed trans.

ebay, but they do not swap right in (they dont even swap right into the non turbo mkiv's)

or buy a new one from toyota

this is why most people stick with a different transmission... if you had the money to buy a 6 speed (cost the same, if not more.. than a 2jzgte engine itself...) i would go for a th400 or something would be half the price

sbnryn15

Aug 11, 2007
monroe nc
well my friend has the engine and was going to put it in his fc rx7. but now he is just trying to sell it and is selling it for 1600 with a stand alone and uncut harness but the only bad thing is it came with an auto trans.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
it would be more work than it's worth. driveshaft would have to be custom, and you'd need to replace the rear end. i've read threads of people saying the gearing ratio of the V160 tranny and mk3 rear end don't mix well.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
W58 will be ok shifts like butter and easy to come by
The best choice for the sake of longivity especialy if you plan to launch hard and shock the tranny go with a R154 and 1jzgte bell housing from "rev" for 300$ then you could use a factory r154 driveshaft or a 1piece from jaws gear

if you dont want to pay a lot for someones beat up R154 you could go with a solstice 5 speed i heard they are the same and pretty cheap also i hear a couple people are going with the t56 6speed for high hp applications and its much cheaper then the v160 or v161

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
yes, could you tell more about these T56 6 speed. i'm about to get an mkiv, and if it would work with it, that would save so much money

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
hey, i found a 6spd tranny and 2jz twin turbo engine, complete, ecu, it is everything i would need...i think lol. anyway, can i use the intercooler off my 89 turbo supra to put on this beast engine? i am keeping my 89 body, but wanna put the 2jz engine in it, and have custom enterior to have it match that of the mkiv supra's....good idea or bad idea?

and oh, i know its gunna cost me lol

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
the stock intercooler of the mk3 is crap. i noticed a big difference when i put in an xspower intercooler with the ct-26, also used it when i did the 2jz swap.

plus the way the mk3 intercooler is, you'd have to run more pipes, which makes for more boost leaks, possibly