2JZ-GTE Swap?

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Aha! How many of you thought this was going to be a "How hard is it to do this swap question right?... :biglaugh:

But really, I just started coming to this site, am performing the swap with some help of friends, and figured I'd post how it goes ^_^
Nice To meet you all ^_^

What it is: This is a 87 7M-GE original. I got it for $3200.
Found the engine on Ebay, for $2600.
I've sold the old engine for $400-500, I'm not sure if I'm selling it too low,
but anything helps since I wasn't going to do anything with it anyway.
I haven't got an intercooler yet, but I'll post that with the price when I do.
We don't know if we have to change out the crossmember, but if I'm lucky we won't. I'm taking the old engine out soon, and I'll post those pics as well.
Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

By the way, The person who is buying my engine is so he can sell his supra, so if anyone lives in the Raleigh, NC area that would is looking for a good deal let me know, and I'll send you the pics.

Anyways,
Before...ness
P1010021.JPG

P1010017.JPG

New Engine
P1010004.JPG

P1010003.JPG

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
You can buy pre-89 swap brackets to put the 2JZ in your car. You can get them from driftmotion, you will need to put a "dent" in the passenger side firewall if you plan to keep the stock two turbos.

Good luck!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
looks like an aristo (91-92) motor with a W58 from a sc300 (so the stick will come up behind the hole, and you need a mid sump pan) check my build thread it might help.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
tlo86;1369913 said:
looks like an aristo (91-92) motor with a W58 from a sc300 (so the stick will come up behind the hole, and you need a mid sump pan) check my build thread it might help.

Yea, what he said.
We both have pretty damn detailed builds. Plus there is a stickie on this forum for the 2jzgte motor in the A70 chassis.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
but the cool thing is you can do all of the work on the engine before you throw it in :) be careful about the alternator bracket to the engine it breaks easy (ive even gotten engines with it broken before i even received it! wtf!) and make sure all of your pulleys turn straight and none are bent (some companies just pile them on in containers when they get them)

be thankful you got a complete harness, you'll need a third plug for the ECU and check the MKii supra forums to sell that front sump, you might be able to trade it straight up for a mid sump.

some things you can go cheap some you cant, (intercooler for example i went cheap and the pipes and the exhaust i could have went cheaper on but already had it from my 7m) copper plugs since its easy to change on the 2jz, i would replace the allens and coil bolts with aftermarket ones (like what twins turbo offers) just to make your life easier later on. i bought a p/s line for a mkiv supra from a parts store (you can use driftmotions braided but you need the VSV from a 1jz p/s pump if you dont want it to stumble when you turn)

dont forget the power steering cooler, and i would recommend a p/s filter for it as well.

do the front and rear main seals now.. silicone on the outer edge and grease on the inside it slides right in :) and my sig has the mkiv tsrm so you will have a guide to everything.

if you want remove that traction control butterfly too and the sensors

Last edited:

supradupra315

Oct 17, 2008
syrcause
hey man im getting that same engine prob from the same place too!.. hey will you get back to me about what you did and what else you needed to buy with the engine!. i cant wait to put it in!

grant-

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've ordered the oil pan and what not, We'll get that in tomorrow and put that on. Then I'm sending the harness out so someone else can put that together for me. I've ordered the intercooler, and that should get here soon as well. Sometime this week, We will try and fit it just to see some of the mods we'll have to do. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions ^_^

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
remember build posts and stickies.. its all there hehe i know ive written this swap out on the mkiii and sc300 a few times before