2JZ-GTE Aristo power steering pump help

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
After my 2JZ swap we (Seth and I) found we had trouble bleeding out the air in the system for PS, and now the pump gets loud underneath the hood. I suspect a rebuild or replacement is in order and have found gasket kits out on the net to do this, but I've also heard about swapping in an electric pump from other vehicles. Does anyone know about this or has tried this? If an electric kit would same time, money, or longevity, it would be a worthwhile task. I know the gasket kits run anywhere from $15~$30, but that would involve downtime and I'm back to using the Supra as a daily (my Volvo 940t isn't starting up anymore, chalking it up to jealousy! LOL).

Ideas?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Well, for one, the electric pump would require you to get a shorter belt because you will be taking out your power steering pump. Driftmotion has all the power steering stuff. Pump replacements/rebuilds too. Unless you are trying to squeeze every last horsepower out of your drag race car, you shouldn't need an electric pump. Stock replace would be quickest and it would be good to go for a long time. Unless there is a leak in your system or maybe bad steering rack or whatev.