2jz ge questions

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
So I am thinking of getting a 2jz ge non vvti engine to put in my 89, but have a few questions. First I know that the mk4 supras had the same rods in the gte and ge block. Is that the same for the other 2j ge and gte blocks? I am staying away from the vvti engines as they have weaker rods. My plan is to open up the engine inspect everything and do new rod/main bearings and new piston rings. Are the Toyota ones the best to use? The npr rings are 1/4 the price and I don't know what to think about them. Online I have seen people say they are inferior to Toyota, are superior to the Toyota ones and that they are the ones who made the rings for Toyota. Also the clevite and acl race bearings are cheaper and I have heard good things about both. Outside of the bearing/ring question I wanted to know how stout the stock ge pistons are. They are made through the same process as the gte ones just designed differently for a higher CR and no oil squirter's. I then plan on either getting a Toyota 2jzgte gasket set, with the bigger hg bringing down my cr in the 9.1-9.2 range what would be a safe boost level?

I am unsure what I will be doing for a head yet, sticking with the GE head and running the cross over tube which is ugly but I could then continue to use my cartech IC. Does anyone know what power level the Cartech IC is good for? Or possibly going with a 1jz gte head.