2jz engine swap quote......scam or not? Opinions please

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
This is a rough estimate to what I got quoted for a 2jzgte swap into my 87 mk3.

$2,000 for 2jzgte complete engine, auto tranny (I found on eBay)
$1,300 AEM standalone
$1,000 installation
$150-200 custom fabricated motor mounts ( i think I'm going with the BIC ones though)
$300 for mk4 supra oil pan

They said they weren't going to use the ecu they would just use the AEM which is plug and play, then tune it which means they wouldn't have to extend the engine harness.

People are telling me that $1,000.00 for the installation is low and that I might be falling into a trap. They put in a fresher h23 stock motor into my fathers Honda Prelude for that same price and it seems to be working great. I will be getting the engine from the some place he did on eBay.

The shop seems good and the people are nice. The owner is the actual one who quoted the price for me.

The owner said they also work on a 650hp 7mgte that goes there and an LS1 mk3.

If you guys could give me your opinions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :icon_bigg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
they dont know whats involved with the 2jz swap.. if they think they wont need to do anything to the harness cause they got a aem, they're sadly mistaken

seriously, save your money..
Buy a hoist for 250$ and install it your self.. send your harness to dr.tweak and for like 500 or whatever have it plug and play. use the remaining money for the remaining parts needed (ps resivour, ps line, alternator wire, intercooler piping, etc)

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
engine- good price
aem- i don't know much about them
installation-might be worth it, wiring is the hardest part of it
motor mounts-reasonable, bic are 185
oil pan-great price. considering from a dealer you have to spend at least 550 for the whole setup

why not use the aristo ecu? would save a lot of money.

Skam9685 said:
This is a rough estimate to what I got quoted for a 2jzgte swap into my 87 mk3.

$2,000 for 2jzgte complete engine, auto tranny (I found on eBay)
$1,300 AEM standalone
$1,000 installation
$150-200 custom fabricated motor mounts ( i think I'm going with the BIC ones though)
$300 for mk4 supra oil pan

They said they weren't going to use the ecu they would just use the AEM which is plug and play, then tune it which means they wouldn't have to extend the engine harness.

People are telling me that $1,000.00 for the installation is low and that I might be falling into a trap. They put in a fresher h23 stock motor into my fathers Honda Prelude for that same price and it seems to be working great. I will be getting the engine from the some place he did on eBay.

The shop seems good and the people are nice. The owner is the actual one who quoted the price for me.

The owner said they also work on a 650hp 7mgte that goes there and an LS1 mk3.

If you guys could give me your opinions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :icon_bigg

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
tissimo said:
they dont know whats involved with the 2jz swap.. if they think they wont need to do anything to the harness cause they got a aem, they're sadly mistaken

seriously, save your money..
Buy a hoist for 250$ and install it your self.. send your harness to dr.tweak and for like 500 or whatever have it plug and play. use the remaining money for the remaining parts needed (ps resivour, ps line, alternator wire, intercooler piping, etc)

I wouldn't even know where to begin lol. I've barely worked on cars before let alone swap an engine. If someone can do it better and quicker than I can then I'm all for it.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
If you've barely worked on cars before, a 2jz swap isn't really what you want. Everything you will do will be custom, and will be 5x more expensive. If you do anything, just do a simple 1jz swap if you dont want to stick with the 7m. Its much easier then the 2jz, not to mention cheaper.

or... if you really want to do the swap, find a shop that knows whats involved.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
if i lived in your area buddy, i'd do it for you. a lot of people here have seen my swap, engine ran perfect, engine started the first try, i didn't have any wiring issues.

installing the engine really isn't that hard, of course coming from an experienced person. you just need to know what parts to get, a little research will show everything you need.

the hardest part is the wiring, there is a guy in savannah that makes harnesses, might be costly though

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Iv'e been going back and forth with what engine to choose for the past 6 months that I've had the car.

I don't like the 7m for the fact of it's issues it has that I've read about.

Everyone and their sister has a 1jz mk3 in Florida. Replacement parts are prolly an issue too.

I wanted the 2jz because of it's power and not a lot of people have them. Modifying is not going to be an issue because stock is going to be enough to satisfy me for a while prolly.

The reason why it is such a hard choice is because whatever engine I choose I am STUCK with for a long while. I would go with a rebuilt 7m with forged internals IF the headgasket issue wouldn't be on my mind 24/7 lol.

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
OneJoeZee said:

No they are scammers as well. I found out a lot of bad things about that shop. They never really quoted me anything just said 6500 for everything lol. I want to know what I am paying for etc etc etc.

Iv'e been doing the research on the 2jz and I pretty much know all the parts that will be needed. I just wanted to know if 1,000 was a shitty quote on installation. People telling me so had me worried.

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
crazysupra2JZ said:
if i lived in your area buddy, i'd do it for you. a lot of people here have seen my swap, engine ran perfect, engine started the first try, i didn't have any wiring issues.

installing the engine really isn't that hard, of course coming from an experienced person. you just need to know what parts to get, a little research will show everything you need.

the hardest part is the wiring, there is a guy in savannah that makes harnesses, might be costly though

Yea I love your thread you have on it. I suscribed to it so I can look back and refresh my memory plus get a general idea of what things are going to cost.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
It depends on what installation is i guess.. They can probably put the engine in and wire it up for 1k, but you will have no intercooler pipes, nor exhaust. IMO 1000 for a running swap (you provide the parts) is a bit cheap, considering custom intercooler kit and a custom dp.

what is your time table on doing the swap?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Skam9685 said:
Everyone and their sister has a 1jz mk3 in Florida. Replacement parts are prolly an issue too.

In tampa there are a decent few lol.. But over here in saint petersburg, maybe 2 ppl I know of have them.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
You can get a 1jz swap for half as much as a 2jz, and have just about the same amount of power...and I love the parallel turbo setup as opposed to the sequential BS on the 2j's..unless you are going to go single soon of course.

So for fitment, price, and get-what-u-pay-for logic, I would always go for a 1jz...unless I could afford a 2j

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
if you are worried about price ditch the AEM. i could think of lots of other things you'll need on top of whats listed

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Yea I could too. They don't seem like they know a whole helluva lot about 2jz into mk3. The screwed up thing about it is that the mk3 Supra specialty shop near me only works on 7ms and refuse to work on jz motors. It seems like I either go to a shop that doesn't know what they are doing tp put the 2jz in or just go to the specialty shop and keep the 7m lmfao. Can't win either way.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If you have your 7m built properly, you won't have to worry about a bhg, especially since you're not trying to build an 800rwhp demon. You said a stock 2jz had enough power for you so a slightly modified 7m will have the same power and be totally safe. I ditched my 7m for the 1jz because nobody around here has one or has even seen one. I don't regret my swap at all. It sounds like building your 7m would be the way to go for you. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.
Jay

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
You may want to consider going 2jzGE-T as well.... The blocks are cheap. You can get a used one for 400 or so and its practically identical.

The 2jz AEM on a MKIII supra does require custom wiring. The problem isnt the engine interface, its wiring up the power supply and all of the other things like the tach, fuel pump, etc.

If you dont know much about electrical, prepare to spend some coin on having somebody do it for you.

Its actually quite time consuming to wire that stuff up. I know that doing another 2j swap would require a significant amount of time and I would think that $1 k is a little bit low. Maybe they have a secret weapon up their sleeve?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Dude go to xat. I worked there for 3 years they are the best in tampa for this stuff period.

Casey is the most legit shop owner in tampa. Tell him mark sent you over.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
the only thing i dont like about the 7m is the intake manifold other than that its a great engine. 2jzge-t is a great option too and cheaper and also a 1jz swap is a great option and have room to put in a 2jz bottom block in later but... i really do feel like a broken record i know ive said this over and over and over.... :)