29lbs of boost on a 2003 Evo

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I met this guy at a local meet and we discussed each others cars for a bit and he told me he's running 29lbs of boost on his 2003 Evo with the stock ECU. He has upgraded the injectors to 1000cc, the turbo to 62, and other basic bolt ons. He never popped the hood on his car so i couldn't see for myself but what did catch my eye was that he said he was running the car with all that boost and larger injectors with a stock ECU. I didnt call him out on it because im not too knowledgeable on Evos but it left me thinking if this really is possible. Do any of you guys know for sure if this can be done? Or was he just talking out of his ass?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
With E-85 it is absolutely possible. The day I had my Pump tune done, I was behind an Evo 9 that ran an upgraded IC, 1000's and E-85, they peaked 32psi boost, but it dropped off to ~19 by redline. They are able to re-flash the stock ECU unlike Supra ECU's.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Like Toyotanos said their ECU's are easily flashable and the software to do so is free, their ECU amounts to a Full standalone and as such they can change any parameter they choose. My friend is running a 2008 EVO RS and he is pushing 29psi on E-85 and 1400cc injectors. Not hard to do for them.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
yeahhhh those motors are known to hold 1000hp o_O not many 4 bangers can do that unless they have loads and loads and loads of shit in their engines.

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
There is a local shop here in MN that has actually pushed the stock ECU record to just over 1000hp in the Evo currently so yes it sure can be done :) I had a 2003 Evo 8 which was a great fun car but on to better things and sold it. They can take loads of power out of the stock block and ECU and kick azz with awd.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yep. Like already stated, with E85 and their programmable ECU's, it's definitely possible. That's a 4G63T for ya!

I'm currently shopping for a GSX... ;)

2jzFUN

Nov 23, 2010
Twin Cities
CajunKenny;1646327 said:
Yep. Like already stated, with E85 and their programmable ECU's, it's definitely possible. That's a 4G63T for ya!

I'm currently shopping for a GSX... ;)

You should buy my 1997 awd converted spyder eclipse. It put down 579hp and 496tq. It is up for sale.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

MDCmotorsports;1646361 said:
Not sure about the Mitsu ECU's, but I know the Subaru WRX / STI ECU's can actually be tuned as if they were a stand alone....
Yep basically the same with the Evos.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
2jzFUN;1646391 said:
You should buy my 1997 awd converted spyder eclipse. It put down 579hp and 496tq. It is up for sale.

It sounds like you're going to be asking more than I'm wanting to pay. I'm basically looking for a stocker that I can put my 20g on and daily beat up so the Soup stays safe in the garage. ;)

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I know hes not running on E85 because he told me that that was the next thing he wanted to do to it. I had asked him if he had tuned the car and he had told me he hadn't. Damn I guess he wasnt just blowing smoke I had no clue the Evo's stock ECU could be used as a Standalone. Learned something new

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
Dirgle;1646244 said:
Like Toyotanos said their ECU's are easily flashable and the software to do so is free, their ECU amounts to a Full standalone and as such they can change any parameter they choose. My friend is running a 2008 EVO RS and he is pushing 29psi on E-85 and 1400cc injectors. Not hard to do for them.

You must have meant 2006. They never made an RS in 2008.

But yea, Evo's are just awesome like this. :)

I'm tuned at 27psi stock turbo, stock motor, stock ECU, stock injectors, pump, everything. Only mods are an Intake, Turbo back exhaust, boost controller and a Twin Disk. Numbers are in my sig. That is also on 91/92 octane pump gas.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
So....the 4G is the 2JZ of four cylinders? Hmmmm. Sounds good. I was at a light, a Evo stopped and I asked what he was running. He said "27 PSI on the stock turbo." I just said "O, okay, nice." I didn't believe that for one bit but after this thread, wow.

Our ECU's are flashable, Techtom has done it. I actually have one of their yellow plug 88 ECU's but I have no clue on how to tell what it is flashed for. It is just sitting here. Sure our ECU's are not as easily flashable but there are people on this forums trying really hard to make that a possibility and hopefully they do it with the 1JZ and 2JZ ecu's as well.

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
Not to mention the Evo ECU can do all kinds of cool shit like Map switching for seperate tunes, knock CEL flash, no lift to shift, intercooler spray on knock (only for 03's that came with an intercooler sprayer), rear o2 sensor simulator (for installing a wideband into an existing bung), Valet mode, Launch control, and lots of other stuff.

Other sweet stock ECU Evo stuff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
goodhart;1647120 said:
You must have meant 2006. They never made an RS in 2008.

Well.... Technically they did, but only in Japan. But you're right his is a 2006. I can't believe it's already been that long since he bought it, and it only has 30,000 miles on it. Nonetheless EVO's love to be modded, and are an absolute blast play with. When I was in Washington I was odd man out with my Supra as I ran with a pack of Evo guy's(all there really was on the island). One thing I definitely noticed being around them was that the car's are very capable, but those who can actually drive them are few and far between.

IBoughtASupra;1647199 said:
Our ECU's are flashable, Techtom has done it. I actually have one of their yellow plug 88 ECU's but I have no clue on how to tell what it is flashed for. It is just sitting here. Sure our ECU's are not as easily flashable but there are people on this forums trying really hard to make that a possibility and hopefully they do it with the 1JZ and 2JZ ecu's as well.

I wish our ECU's were flashable but they definitely are not. They are hard encoded and locked down. TechTom literally rips the CPU out of the ECU and replaces it with a daughter board of there own with a flashable EPROM, essentially becoming a second ECU inside the original ECU. It's a very difficult and involved process. How difficult? Well just look how much work 3p141.. has had to put into recreating what Techtom did.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?73379-3P-s-TCCS-Disassembly-Analysis

This was the biggest thorn in my side when hanging around the Evo guy's. When they changed something on there motor they could easily make the necessary changes ECU map. Me I just had to hope the Toyota ECU was smart enough to make the necessary adjustments. Nowhere near the control I wanted.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Dirgle;1647221 said:
I wish our ECU's were flashable but they definitely are not. They are hard encoded and locked down. TechTom literally rips the CPU out of the ECU and replaces it with a daughter board of there own with a flashable EPROM, essentially becoming a second ECU inside the original ECU. It's a very difficult and involved process. How difficult? Well just look how much work 3p141.. has had to put into recreating what Techtom did.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?73379-3P-s-TCCS-Disassembly-Analysis

This was the biggest thorn in my side when hanging around the Evo guy's. When they changed something on there motor they could easily make the necessary changes ECU map. Me I just had to hope the Toyota ECU was smart enough to make the necessary adjustments. Nowhere near the control I wanted.

That is what I mean't to say. The ECU has to be opened up to have a daughter board installed to it. How do you read what is the ECU programmed for, an EPROM read? Where do you get one of those?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
For the EVO it's pretty straight forward. A tactrix cable plugs into the OBD-II connector with a second connector pluging into the flash connection right next to it. This cable has a USB connection on the other end for a computer running ECUflash. It's a simple, fast and well designed system. And it's all done without disassembling or removing anything.

As for the supra ECU 3p141.... had to tap into the individual lines coming off the CPU chip and a few other components, power the system up and record what was output. I'm not sure if he has even gotten all the code off the chip yet. Unfortunately an EPROM reader just won't suffice in this case, but, from what I understand, does work for the Techtom modded ECU.

Last edited: