245 45 16 fitment question.

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
i was curious if anyone knew or tried to fit a 245 45 16 tire on the stock 16x7 rims?

will they fit?

i ask b/c i found 2 michelin tires at my shops parts warehouse that were discontinued and they were only $22 a piece WOAH!!

no lie.. only thing is they are two models of michelins, ones a pilot mxx3 and the other is a nomxx... not sure if thats a real model number but thats whats listed in the computer.

thanks for any insight!

mike

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Bad idea. Drifter often run skinnier tires on wider rims to minimize lateral tire shift on the rim. Doing the the opposite would have the adverse effect. In the simplist terms, when you turn left, the tires will smoosh all the way to the left before you actually start turning left and vice versa. You would be very dissapointed with the handling, not to mention its potentially dangerous. This shift could alter the contact patch and cause you to actually loose traction versus gain it. Wether or not you buy the tires is up to you but I would not put them on a 7 inch rim.

Put on shoes that are too big. Can you do it? Sure. Just don't try running around. You might roll your ankle.

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
yea, ur right, good analogy. however i figured for 32 dollars for the pair it was worth a try

rears 245 45 16
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/sandineyez/IMG_0169.jpg

front 225 50 16
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/sandineyez/IMG_0170.jpg

it doesnt seem to be too bad
in fact the 245's went on easier than the continentals on the front.. wierd..

funny thing is, one of the michelins i got was a mmx model and the DOT number indicates it was made in 1990, kinda scary, but theres no dryrot. it was stored in a warehouse so it wasnt exposed to huge temp fluctautions nor sunlight..

the other michelin was made in 03 its a pilot, a little more recent

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
theyll fit. I run that size for my spring tires. They dont handle very nice but they sure look good filling up that wheel well