2008 AKA Rally - NYC to Las Vegas

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
Last year I participated in the 2007 AKA Rally from SLC (and the Bonneville Salt Flats) to Atlantic City NJ in my 85 P-Type Supra while on my honeymoon. This year I'm going back for more with more with my 7M-GTE swap.

The 2008 AKA Rally runs from New York City cross country 2,500 miles to Las Vegas. To copy a blurb from the AKA Rally website:
The 2008 AKA Rally will be filmed for a 6 episode series on SPEED TV! ... Going from NYC to Vegas on August 18 - 25, 2008. AKA Rally 2008 will cover some of the most amazing roads in America and host exclusive dinners, parties, and driving events.

A deposit to secure a spot (limited to a field of 35 cars) is $250 bucks. Full cost is $3250, registration deadline is July 18th.

FWIW the $3250 gets you a lot, 7 nights in 5 Star hotels (which is really nice, the evening bar tab (usually runs into the $1000's), evening dinner (at a fancy restaurant), and entrance into all the fun events (last year it covered the Salt Flats costs (to run our cars on the flats), Racing Go-Karts almost all day, entrance into the ALMS race @ Mid-Ohio and some other stuff I can't remember). You do have to pay for tickets, gas, breakfast & lunch, and other incidentals (tows, tire replacement, if you break down you're SOL, though we're usually really helpful to each other). This year I've heard there will be cash prizes for competitions.

It's a blast and a really good time. Pretty much the only time of the year I get to hang out with hard-core auto enthusiasts. This is not for the trailer-queen crowd, we come to drive, have a good time, party and see the country.

http://www.akarally.com/main.html

My 2007 AKA Rally Pictures

Pictures from Andy Sapp (who attended last year as well)

Just thought I'd post up and see about getting someone else with a Supra to go.

BTW If you break down the $3250 cost, it's pretty much the same as what you would pay if you did it all out of pocket

7*$250=$1750 hotel rooms for 7 nights
Which leaves you $1500 bucks to cover food & events for 7 days.

Last edited:

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
I'm gonna have to do this a year or two down the road. I could probably get the money, but I have other things to pay for before then. Sounds awesome though.