1uz in mkiii

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
ok i have a few questions about putting a 1u in a mkiii that i havent been able to find an answer on, ok this is what i want to do i want to put a 1uz in my mkiii with the auto but what i want to know is will i be able t use my stock ds or will i have to have one made. my car is an 89 n/a a/t and i know, well im pretty sure that i have to use a 1u out of a sc400 b/c of the in oil pan i want it to be as bolt in as possiable, and will i need to extend the wire harness, i have been reading that there is trouble with the usdm ecu would it be easier to get the jdm one and if so how would i control the trans? how much power does the trans hold im not looking to do anything crazy with it, but i wanna know that it wont explade if i put a 50 shot on it or something. ok thanks in advance for your responses

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
ya ive looked there, i want the auto way less of a pain to drop another auto in then swap a 5spd cuz the car is already an auto im more concerned about the ds and wireing harness / ecu

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
If you retain your trans but swap the the SC400 bellhousing, your stock DS should fit just Fine.

The mounts that I build for this swap locates the trans in the exact stock location. It has not be tried yet with a stock auto but there is no reason why it wont work out the same with the Auto as it does with both the R154 and the W58 with the correct adapters.... If you use the complete SC400 auto trans, then yes you will have to have a DS made and a custom trans mount too...

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
well i cant use my trans b/c its blown, but do you know whats different about the sc and the supra trans is it the tail shaft length or the size of the ouput shaft?? and if so do you know how much longer either trans is or if there are the same with different splines, and i jus wanna make sure i am correct i need the motor out of an sc not an ls or gs 400 i jus wanna make sure what i need to be looking for thanks

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The SC trans is not like the supra trans. There is not slip yoke like the supra. The DS bolts to a flange on the Trans kinda like the rear end of the supra but its a 3bolt flange though.

No you cant use the SC DS either as its the wrong length and the rear flange at the Diff is totally different too.... You would need both DS's (supra and SC) and have a DS shop make a basturdized one for you. I dont know the length. I have a fellow 1UZ MKIII owner comming down from TN today and tomorrow Him, myself and a few other local 1UZ MKIII owners that I have swapped are all getting together for a little mini (V8 supra meet).... I built the mounts for his setup and did a trans mount adapter for him as he is using the SC400 trans in his... I'll check out his DS as to how he had it done and see if he remembers how long it had to be....

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
o that would be fuckin sweet if you could figure out how long the ds would have to be, i know you did a stndalone on yours but is the factory harness a vaible option would i need to extend it like a jz swap or anything and what car did your motor come out of was it a ls/gs or an sc or jdm equivlents soarer, celsior, crown, astro, and i need a rear sump pan correct (other wise tit will interfear with the stearing rack) and if so that only came in a sc/soarer i just want all the correct info b4 i start spending money thanks for all the help its hard to find correct info on this swap. if it was a jz they all have part numbers and a list of every part that is needed and everything is there, this is more of a chalange, nice, lol

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
yotasupra3;1207928 said:
o that would be fuckin sweet if you could figure out how long the ds would have to be, i know you did a stndalone on yours but is the factory harness a vaible option would i need to extend it like a jz swap or anything and what car did your motor come out of was it a ls/gs or an sc or jdm equivlents soarer, celsior, crown, astro, and i need a rear sump pan correct (other wise tit will interfear with the stearing rack) and if so that only came in a sc/soarer i just want all the correct info b4 i start spending money thanks for all the help its hard to find correct info on this swap. if it was a jz they all have part numbers and a list of every part that is needed and everything is there, this is more of a chalange, nice, lol

The best set up would be an LS engine with the SC oil pan... You are correct, you need the the SC oil pan. Its not even the rack that interfers, its the whole subframe.... The SC pan fits perfect (as if it was ment for the chassis.... The real key differance with the LS engine is the Fan idler bracket. On the SC, it used a Hydraulic fan kinda like the JZ engines.. The LS used a standard clutch fan like a 7M... So you dont have to worry about the whole hydraulic pump assembly Especially if you running an electric fan (as I would recommend)...

Wiring harness wise the stock US spec LS or SC harness's fit perfectly fine (almost to long)...... There is very little in the way of wiring connections that need to be made.. Its a quite easy swap overall

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
ok thank you do you know about the ecu and the tranny control i was reading on lexextrem that the us ecus are prone to not work unless you repin then to jdm specs do know y that is or how i can get arround it if i use the jdm ecu i wont have the trans control

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Sorry, haven't had a chance to get back on untill now....

I not fully following what you are saying or asking about the ECU.....

There was only one Model ECU overseas that had an external Trans ECU (Crown model IIRC). All the rest, the Trans ECU built into the Engine ECU.... Your wanting to run the AUTO trans anyways aren't you? If so, then what are you worried about with the ECU? The problem is when converting to manual that some ECU, dont like it when you remove all the trans equipment (even then I dont know how true this really is as I haven't had this issue come up yet using both a 92 and a 95 SC400 ECU)....

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
ok thanks i read on lextrem that the ls ecu wouldnt work but its only the 90-92 that has problems so that is my fault, so thank you for all the info when i start the swap ill start a tread so everyone can see the progress i beleave i have found all the parts that i need for about 800 witch isnt bad

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Hey man, I didn't get all the info that I wanted to when Daniel was down here but he did tell me that he took the front have of a SC shaft and the rear half of the supra shaft and had the DS shop make one... He wanted to say that it was 43" total flange to flange but he wasn't positive. He said when he gets back home to TN after the holidays that he would pull out the invoice from the DS shop and find out exactly what the length was and he would get the car up in the air and get me some detailed pics of the trans mount and adapter... I built the adapter for him but I have no idea as to how it was used. He just emailed me a drawing of what he needed and I built it. I still have that drawing so I could build another one, but I have no idea as to how it needs to be installed until I see the pics that he's gonna get to me..

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
ok i was thinking that would work usint the 2 parts of the ds if it wouldnt be a problem could you send me a copy of the drawing for the trans mount that would be cool

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
o one more quick question what is a good gear ratio to use in the rear end i have 3.73 lsd in it now but with the 7m it felt like a pooch idk jus lookin for a nother opinion thanks

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
yotasupra3;1210876 said:
o one more quick question what is a good gear ratio to use in the rear end i have 3.73 lsd in it now but with the 7m it felt like a pooch idk jus lookin for a nother opinion thanks

I dont know about with the Auto trans, but I have the same 3.73 LSD in mine and I love it. One of the local swaps that I did is manual trans also but he has the 4.30 LSD and IMHO, its way to much gear for the motor. 1st and 2nd gear more then half throttle is a joke.. Granted his tires aren't in the greatest condition but still.......... Even my car with the 3.73 LSD while rolling in 1st will light up the rear with no problems and will haze them in second.. You have to remember, the UZ's make a ton of torque even at low RPM's... Hell, a 1UZ is making more torque at 1200RPM then a 7mge makes peak......