1st gear whining noise

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
Hey guys I have a1988 supra 7mgte with a r154 tranny. The car drove great .I was doing a burnout earlier and now when I drive it the first gear has a whining noise that sound like its reversing.It only makes the noise when your moving in 1st gear.Other than that 2nd-5th gear and reverse are fine.I don't know when the transmission fluids been change, I had that car for 2yrs now. I searched this up on multiple sites about others cars and how theirs were similar and they said either ur fluids low or the bearing for that gear is broken or somthin. I was wondering where the filler for the transmission is and how do you change it and stuff.Any helps or tips would be nice.Thx

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Remove the drain plug, check for any metal. Remove the shifter and pour in 3.2 quarts of Redline MT90. Good luck.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
yukioda;2026386 said:
I was doing a burnout earlier and now when I drive it the first gear has a whining noise that sound like its reversing.It only makes the noise when your moving in 1st gear.Other than that 2nd-5th gear and reverse are fine.

That kind of narrows it down don't you think? The whirring noise like reverse is because the clearance is too far, much like a differential. Reverse does it because the gear is cut different.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
ummm..wait wheres the drain plug?...isnt it suppose to be on the bottom of the tranny?I dont know what one is the drain plug or where it is.I think i see one on the side of the tranny on the drivers side far back but I'm not sure. Yeah i know it may be dumb for me to ask about this drainer plug but I'm a little confused and stuff.I will be trying again to find it, i just want to make sure.Sorry if this is sad..haha...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Fill is on the side and drain is on the bottom. Should be easy to tell where they are once you see them. Don't forget to put the washers back on when you put them in, or preferably just replace the washers.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
Thanks,I found it. it was really obvious but the dirt and oil made it hard to find...I unscrewed it and there was no medal.Drained it and put in a new synthetic gear oil 75-90. I drove the car around for a while and Its still making the whining noise in 1st gear and gets louder the faster.2nd-5th are still good.I dont really know whats up, but my friend-ish says the 1st gear is prolly stripped or somthing.What would happen if I keep driving it?When I drive it I try to avoid being in 1st and shift around 1500rpm.What do you guys think?