ppkssupra

Aug 25, 2012
WI
I recently got a 1991 supra turbo and the motor ceased up. I am swapping out the engine for a 1jzgte vvt-i. My mechanic said all I need to get is the engine because my other parts will hook right up. I just want somebody to look at the link I'm purchasing the engine from and tell me if it's legit or if it's a good deal and if it will work in my 1991 supra turbo. Also, I was told my supra is a rear sump, but the 1jz i'm getting is a front sump. Will that matter?

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/toyota-lexus/1jz-gte-vvti-dohc-engine-only-96.html

If I posted this in the wrong area, let me know the correct place to post. Thank You.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Good deal but your gonna need harness to be mated, and ecu to run it. Dont forget all other require electronics.....and no, most likely nothing from your old motor is gonna fit....also u need a rear sump setup from rear sump setup jz motors...

ppkssupra

Aug 25, 2012
WI
Thanks. I will talk to my mechanic again about the harness and ecu. Because he told me that as long as I can get a 7mgte or a 1jzgte then he can just do a straight swap and the 1jz will fit all my old parts.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Hence JZ and M........not close at all exactly...pretty sure u need a new mechanic.....look for a supra known mechanic near u and go.from there...prolly your best options....just my 2¢…

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
A 1JZ has an entirely different sensor setup as compared to a 7M, and you cannot use any stock 7M ECU to control any 1JZ. You will either need a stand-alone computer or the 1JZ computer. The harnesses will not interchange, either.

This is all applicable unless your car has some form of a 1JZ installed already.

ppkssupra

Aug 25, 2012
WI
Thanks...could someone give me a list of everything i'd need to get besides engine, harness and ecu?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I wouldnt order from tiger japanese. Can google there name and see all kinds of bad crap about them.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Stay away from tiger japanese unless you enjoy getting screwed over. I'd also consider getting a full swap non-vvti (complete, trans, harness, ecu) then sell your exsisting 154 locally once you've got the swap running. The rear sump, flywheel, and bellhousing will be worth the extra money. Also consider getting the 4.10 rear setup included in the swap. Then get your two harness sent Dr. Tweek.