1jzgte running lean while NOT in boost.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
Ok boys and girls here is my list of mods at the moment.

-1Jzgte (auto)
-stock injectors (550 going in soon)
-Mk4 resistor box
-Apexi safc
-greddy speed cut def.
-Aem wide band
-Aem water/meth inj.
-greddy bov
-Fmic
-4'-21/4 dual exhaust
-3' intercooler pipes
-aeromotive 340 stealth (12v. mod)
-Hx35 turbo (new)
-Ssautochrome headers
-driftmotion 44mm wastegate
-driftmotion 3' down pipe

so i just hooked up my aem wideband last night.. and turned the key on and it cycled down. car on it was reading 14-16 idling . driving around was the same thing.. 14-15.6 but when boosting (12-13psi) the afr's are 10-12 like it should.. car runs great either way without any miss or anything.. i have some small hair line cracks on my coils but that shouldn't affect anything at idle.. when its warming up for the first few min. it shows 11.2 then 13. then goes to 14-16. even if i rev it up in "N" (automatic).

when at idle if i add 50% fuel lol the afrs goes to 12ish. after a few secs... i just checked this other thread and some guys said its normal to fluctuate between 14-16 sometimes at idle..

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?495339-1JZGTE-running-lean-at-idle-and-under-boost

quick history .

-i have a minor exhaust leak on the bottom of the down pipe/mid pipe goes. but i dont think that has anything to do with it.. plus its something really small....

-always run 91. shell most of the time..

-aem water/meth is hooked up but its been off.

-no error codes . i checked.

-also checked the ecu for leaking capacitors, but nothing.. looks brand new front and back.

one day i was leaving for work . car set for 2 days... it started normal then i left the house.. barely warmed up so i was taking it easy with the pedal. 2 miles down the road the car started bogging, i had white smoke very strong fuel odor come out of the exhaust and the car shut off.. (like it flooded) this was b4 i added the new fuel pump. so i figured it was time for a upgrade anyways so i bought the one on the car now aeromotive. anyways took a few tries and it started and i reved just to make sure it was not going to bog again so i took off.. months later i went single and no issues.. then i went to work and the car set for 2 days and started fine once again i took off slowly and all of a sudden again the car started bogging and white smoke .. (not blown head gasket) so i parked.. tried to start and after 3 tries it started still smell gas and reved and it bogged for a sec. then i took off and it cleared up..... i'm running ngk one step colder plugs. 7 i believe. re-gaped to .28 . i'm getting ready to install my 550cc bc my app. to get it tune will be on the 17th.. of feb.. so if i still have money that will be the plan. :) any ideas why it would run lean like that off boost. ? i'm on stock injectors once again. i have ran injector cleaner and seafoam in the past.. its been a while.. safc is on stock settings..

i have searched on google for the past few days and most of the problems other have been experiencing is running lean while in boost which is not my case...

thanks

got this from the supra forums. pretty much what i got as far as settings

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?212233-APEXi-SAFC-settings&highlight=apexi safc

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
scottiedawg66;1908301 said:
In your mods list it says mkiv resistor, but you have the stock 370 injectors?
Im getting ready to swap my 550cc sorry forgot to edit..

Yeah I will double check my pippings for any leaks..

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
I would say its normal also, when its cold the ecu is running in closed loop which is why its rich, once its at operating temp the o2 sensor should tell the ecu to keep it stoich. which is 14.7 so it will fluctuate around that which is fine when not in boost.

As far as the white smoke and bogging go it could be a sign of your ECU taking a crap (capacitors leaking) i had 3 crappy 1jz ecu's go out in my car before i switched to a 2jz ecu.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1908398 said:
I would say its normal also, when its cold the ecu is running in closed loop which is why its rich, once its at operating temp the o2 sensor should tell the ecu to keep it stoich. which is 14.7 so it will fluctuate around that which is fine when not in boost.

As far as the white smoke and bogging go it could be a sign of your ECU taking a crap (capacitors leaking) i had 3 crappy 1jz ecu's go out in my car before i switched to a 2jz ecu.

thanks.. yeah i thought it would be the ecu, but i took a good look at it last night and found no problems at all. no sign of any leaks or anything... and for a minute i tought about going the 2jz ecu route, but gave up after adding a few things jumper harness from dr. teak $280 + 150 for the ecu. but i saw that it was running fine so i never bothered i figured it would be a waste of money. :/ . thats almost half of the money for a used aem standalone .