1JZGTE Rod Bearings

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
Has anyone used Clevite rod bearings on their 1JZGTE? I have the standard size CB-1628 P and the machine shop told me the tang area on the rod bearing has to much of a gap from what he's use to seeing. I'll post a couple pics from my iPhone. Any help is appreciated.
Are all 1JZGTE rod bearings suppose to have this gap/extra space in the rod area. We can move the rod bearings back and forth. I get the impression that you have to physically line them up by hand and depend on the crush to keep the rod bearings from walking.

Also notice in the pic that the bearings can line up by hand if you want them to but also that they can be mis-alighned on purpose to show the slack.

The first pic is of the Clevite rod bearing. The second pic is the stock rod bearing that we pulled out of the engine. They just look way narrow.

Attachments

• mail-3.jpeg
    mail-3.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1063.JPG
    DSCN1063.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1065.JPG
    DSCN1065.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1066.JPG
    DSCN1066.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1067.JPG
    DSCN1067.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
The bearings are in flush and here is a couple more pics of the bearings out of the box. It looks like there is not much there in the tang as far as the width is concerned. The depth of the notch isn't real critical as long as it is deep enough the tang doesn't bottom out. But the tang must fit fairly snug from side to side to prevent the bearing from walking sideways. I had e-mailed Clevite about it and they did not see any pics but basically told me I have to depend on the crush. I wish they would have taken the time to look at the pics above but they really didn't seem to have anymore advice.

Attachments

• mail-6.jpeg
    mail-6.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 6
  • mail-5.jpeg
    mail-5.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
After talking with a machine shop that has built a few 1J's I was told there will be a small amount of space left on the rod where the bearing sits in from side to side. That was how the stock rod bearing was and will use the same location for the new rod bearings. Just make sure you line them up and the crush will take care of the rest. I decided to use ACL's for the rod bearings and Clevite on the mains and thrust washers. Hope this helps anyone else when they build their 1J.

Last edited: