1JZGTE Plug colapse

Gtstarga

May 1, 2006
Bristol. England
Hi guy's I finally got my car on the road on Saturday to go to show here in the UK. Unfourtunalty after a bit a blast late that evening my coil pack burnt out and the spark plug broke up. The worst thing is the electrod of the plug dropped into the chamber. I have spent some time fishing it out and have removed all the parts.

Has any one ever had this happen to them? and what did they do? I am thinking of putting some oil in and sucking it out then new plug and coil pack and running her up. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Simon

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I've had the porcelain fall in and used some duct tape, wrapped around a wire/coathanger (sticky-side out), to fish most of it out. I dunno if you have metal in the cylinder, but once you get all the major pieces out, you should be able to install another plug and fire it up. The remaining pieces of porcelain will break up and go out the exhaust valves.

Okay, yes I know it sounds stupid, but I was in the same predicament when I overtightened a plug and broke it the same way. Spent 4+ hours digging out what I could and knew there would still be something left in there. I called my brother who's a mechanic and seen his share of these things and he told me what I just told you. Do a search on Yahoo or Google. Maybe there's a better answer, but I didn't find one... 'cept for removing replacing the head.

Good luck!

By the way, I probably drove that 87T for another 2+ years with no related issues (like blow-by or burning oil).

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
If you are very worried about it, find a shop with a bore scope and have them inspect the cylinder for damage and pieces before you fire it up.

Gtstarga

May 1, 2006
Bristol. England
I like the duct tape idea, so will give that a go on my next chance.

I am trying to avoid removeing the head if I get the chance as this would be a a very exspensive way to do things.

Well my day off will be taking my balls in hand and starting her up.......Wish me luck!!!!!

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Gtstarga said:
I like the duct tape idea, so will give that a go on my next chance.

I am trying to avoid removeing the head if I get the chance as this would be a a very exspensive way to do things.

Well my day off will be taking my balls in hand and starting her up.......Wish me luck!!!!!

Just for your info, a bore scope goes into the cylinder through the plug hole. You wouldn't be removing the head.

And technically, removing the head would be cheaper than ruining a motor. :biglaugh: