1JZGTE Build, need help, shooting for 450 to wheels

Eric

Nov 25, 2010
Louisville, Kentucky
Ive decided i want to do a 1j swap into my 86.5 supra, as i am unhappy with my 7MGE. Ive read alot about how to swap the 1jz's into the mkiii supras, so im not to concerned about that part. I want to build my 1jz when i get it to make about 450 to the wheels is my goal, give or take some hp. Im a big SBC guy so im still trying to learn the most i can about these engines.

Would i be able to safely push that kind of horsepower with stock internals. im already planning on rebuilding the engine when i get it, all new gaskets and rings, but id rather not replace the crank/pistons/rods if i dont have to. Id like to put a big single turbo on the car also but im still trying to figure out a turbo that would be suitable as im new to all this. Would i need to have my head ported, get valves done, or bigger injectors?

I need help guys, im willing to learn and any imput would be greatly appreciated:aigo:!

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
The 1jz is extremely reliable for 450wheel, you'll have fast spool with a medium sized turbo and it will easily handle that on stock headgasket/internals. If the engine is clean when you get it, I wouldn't bother rebuilding it.
Theres multiple upgrade paths you can take, but fortunately 450whp is fairly easy and cheap to squeeze out of a 1j.
For fuel you can use mk4 US spec 550cc injectors(cheapest option) that will fit in the stock fuel rail BUT you will have to wire in an injector resistor to go from hi impedance to low impedance. Your fuel pump needs to be switched out, Walbro 255lph are common and will pump enough to support your goal.
To control this extra fuel you will need a fairly decent piggyback, I recommend MAP ECU. You could get away with a cheaper one like an safc but it has limited adjustment range. If you have the coin to spend, however, I would go straight to an entry level standalone management.
You dont need to have any headwork done to support this power level.
One thing I will tell you about supras is that once you reach your HP goal, its going to leave a desire for MORE!

Eric

Nov 25, 2010
Louisville, Kentucky
Thank you, any suggestions on a turbo that would be good for the setup im going for? im new to the whole turbo deal. I understand them, just hard time picking them i guess you could say. Ill look into the ECU suggestions you mentioned for sure.

Eric

Nov 25, 2010
Louisville, Kentucky
Ill prolly use the stock ECU and have it tuned unless i have themoney for a standalone, but i will look into those thank you for the tip. Also, what size BOV should i use you all think?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Any 61mm turbo will get you there pretty much. Could use a 67mm also. Precision 61 62 67, gt35r 40r, and the like. Cams would be nice to get more rev and a bigger turbine housing a/r would be a lot better for top end.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Cant "tune" a stock ecu. Need something to like safc to tune with.

Any bov should work for that too. Just not stock. Pick your noise.

38-40mm wastegate should do if you go single external.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
A 67 for your goals will give more lag than fun.

I am going for 600 to the wheels so my 67MM with headwork, cams and a QSV will help spool and keep that turbo pull until redline.

A 6262 will be sufficient for you and with a .70 A/R will be good. The DriftMotion 60-1 T4 with a .70 A/R will also get you to that power.

Eric

Nov 25, 2010
Louisville, Kentucky
With the Driftmotion 60-1 Turbo kit, will i still need a 1jz mkii fronty mount intercooler kit to go with it? just making sure as ity does not say anything about a IC in the description on the website