1JZ vvti swap intercooler questions

T-dollahs

Feb 1, 2013
British Columbia, Canada
Hey guys, I'm in the process of swapping my 1GGTE out for a 1JZGTE vvti, I know about the engine and stuff and how it's not the best for tuning etc, but I'm not worried about that. I'm putting this into my 1990 mk3 supra RHD I have everything to do swap it came with ecu, uncut harness r154 tranny engine etc etc. just not an intercooler. I already spent quite on getting this engine and I will if I have to buy a new intercooler but my question is that if I could use the stock intercooler that came on my 1ggte, or is it to small?? And I saw cx racing makes an intercooler kit for the 1jz vvti that's a fairly good price, the reviews were pretty good.. Reading up that it would be fine for stock turbo running stock boost but it was made for the 1991+ soarer , could I get it to fit on my mk3 ? Anyone have any info they can give me or tips/advice

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
yeah I bought a DM intercooler kit and I heard it's very similar to the CX racing, it's definately not a "bolt-on" kit, it mounted to my intakes fine with the couplers but underneath I had to hack up two pipes and get an extra coupler to have it all fit right and I pretty much mounted like the stock one.

1jz-Rolla

Sep 11, 2011
Canberra
Good to see another MK3 going 1J VVTi :)

Any intercooler kit made for the JZA70 will be fine, with the exception that the hot side (turbo to intercooler) will have to be modified/fabricated for the different position of the turbo outlet. The throttle body is in exactly the same place however so should bolt straight up.