1jz upper oil pan removal

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
So I am attempting to pin point a leak and I already have the front subframe of the car off, so I figure I will reseal both the lower and upper oil pans. My current issue is removing them, primarily the upper pan. I have double checked that I've removed all of the bolts and disconnected the oil pickup line from the pan. There are 6 slots in the upper pan, where I believe you are to stick an SST in (though I don't think its the same one that's portrayed in the 7M TSRM) to pull the pan off of the block.

I don't have said tool and I searched for the P/N online and no dice. Can anyone shed light on how to pull these damn things off w/o breaking crap?

It seems as though there was definitely some oil leaking from the studs that are permanently attached to the upper pan, I'm guessing there is some type of o-ring that goes between the upper/lower pan to seal the bolts off?

Lastly, the sealant that is extruded between the block and upper pan, and from between the upper and lower pan, is white-ish and seems pretty weak when I pull at it. I though that the black FIPG is what's used by the factory to seal these parts. Is is safe to say that since the material that is extruded is not black that the pans have been pulled before and sealed with an inferior product?

Thanks for any info as always!

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
You just pry it off with a screw driver/ prybar. No special tool needed.

The FIPG that was originally used at the factory is a white-ish color, and no, it doesent work nearly as good as the black stuff they sell. The good news is, it cleans up much easier than if someone had used the black stuff.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Make sure all the bolts are out on the inside as well. And the bolts that are on the trans.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
mkiiichip;1966176 said:
You just pry it off with a screw driver/ prybar. No special tool needed.

The FIPG that was originally used at the factory is a white-ish color, and no, it doesent work nearly as good as the black stuff they sell. The good news is, it cleans up much easier than if someone had used the black stuff.

Thanks Chip. I guess I was worried about marring the face of the pan or block, but since it is a sealant seal, and not a formed gasket, it shouldn't be a big deal if i scratch either face a bit using a lever of some sort to pry. Getting ready for the winter up there?

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
hvyman;1966198 said:
Make sure all the bolts are out on the inside as well. And the bolts that are on the trans.

Hvyman I've double checked that I have removed all of the pan bolts to include the ones connecting the pan to the bell housing, but I will certainly triple-check before I go back to pry these f#$kers apart, thank you sir!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I usually use a dead blow plastic hammer to take off pans. Not crazy hard but it will start to loosen up. Iirc there is also a couple spots that would be better to pry on. Wouldn't try to damage the mating surface as you want the nice flat smooth seal.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
hvyman;1966388 said:
I usually use a dead blow plastic hammer to take off pans. Not crazy hard but it will start to loosen up. Iirc there is also a couple spots that would be better to pry on. Wouldn't try to damage the mating surface as you want the nice flat smooth seal.

I use a dead blow as well. Works like a charm!