1jz turbo idea hit or miss?

maad_mk3

Apr 16, 2015
Detroit, Michigan
So while i was working today I was thinking of unique ways to modify my car (nothing new for any of us). I am waiting on my 1jz-gte to arrive. The detroit car scene is a hard one to keep up with and I like to find unique ways to stand out from everyone else, so here is what I was thinking. A staggered turbo set up. Instead of running the same stock twin turbo at 20lbs of boost like every other supra owner at the meet. Would it be possible to go one small turbo to enter boost earlier and reduce lag (run somewhere at 18lbs) and have a bigger turbo (running around 25lbs) on the other side. My thought is being in boost long and hitting it earlier will give me a 0-60 advantage, but the slight lack of boost compared to twin turbo running 20lbs will keep the 1/4 mile somewhere in the same range. Tell me what you think, has it been done? is it possible to do? I am not necessarily going for the fastest car anyone has ever seen but something different that can still lay down a couple horses.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You could. Your going to have to get different twin turbo manifolds as the stock ones will not work. Which will require customer down pipes oil lines and intakes.

Also might not see that much difference in response as the stock twins spool damn near instantly

Stepchild21

May 17, 2014
Beaumont Alberta Canada
For the amount of money that's gonna cost you just to be unique, I would not recommend it. Tuning will be a pain, custom work for manifold and downpipe will add up, plus the cost of two turbo's. Just slap on a nice single turbo and work from there.

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
Or you could do a twin charger setup, turbo and supercharged like the new Volvo engine in the s60. It will be a control nightmare and the plumbing would be atrocious

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
You could go the "disco potato" route.... replace the stock twin internals with GT25 internals.
Driftmotion sells this kind of stuff. Should be quite similar spool as stock, but lots of headroom for more power.

The backside of things are custom oil and water lines, as the GT25 needs both and the stock ones dont fit the GT25 bearing housing.