1JZ Tranny Options

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
I am going to be getting a 1JZ 5speed front clip to do the swap into my '87 NA Automatic. When I first started researching this swap I thought I understood that the USDM transmissions would not swap into the 1JZ and that the JDM transmission had to be used, which was great because I was planning on swapping over all of the Manual transmission components from my JDM front clip...now that the swap is growing near and I am gathering more information I am seeing that everybody is talking about using the USDM transmissions...my question is can I still use the JDM transmission that comes w/ the clip or do I have to now source an R154 tranny?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you can use the transmission you have they should be the same unless im mistaken, i know you will have to put in a new break and clutch assembly and a few other little things that come with the manual transmissions the auto's do not have

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Yeah, I'm not concerned about the 5 speed swap itself...we've done a few on other cars including my friend's Celica...I was just getting dejected about the news of the Transmission itself. I was really excited to see the motor mount adapters and thought I would be saving a little money and headache, but I started to think I would have to source a USDM R154 tranny.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
same trans different bell housing.if you want to use a usdm r154 you need ij bell housing.you're already getting a 5speed clip.i think you are getting confused with people buying auto clips and using there usdm 5 speed.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
i used the 5spd in my clip... after driving it for awhile, its in better condition than my R154 from my old 7M.. the old one had synchros on the way out and stuff and gears would grind(especially on downshifts). this one is nice and smooth. attributed to less mileage i suppose and driving style of previous owner

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
don't forget the drive shaft as well :biglaugh: the auto one from your n/a will not fit. the good thing is your 1jz will have the same r154 transmission so no 'special' parts

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
most clips come with a driveshaft.i8f you don't get one i'm sure somebody will have one

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Awesome! Thanx for your help guys, I've been meaning to do this swap for like 3 years now, but my NA Auto trans took a dump and I started working on my AE86 GT-S and kinda forgot about my beautiful Supra...I have a renewed vigor and am ready to bust my A$$ to get this swap done...super excited!!!

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
One more question...what are my flywheel options...are there any readily available aftermarket flywheels available? Is anybody running an aftermarket flywheel? Clutches will be the same as 7m right?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Nice to see you here as well as on Club4AG. Welcome.

For flywheels, you're somewhat limited, because the 1JZ uses it's own flywheel. If you want an aftermarket one, ask for a 7M-GTE flywheel with the JZ crank bolt pattern instead of the 7M pattern. There are some aftermarket ones (JUN I think???) I can't think of any right now, but I know they're out there, might be hard to come by though.

The US transmission is the same as the JDM transmission, the only difference is the bellhousing (which was already mentioned). Use the JDM transmission, if you ever need to replace it, you can use a US one. :)

As far as clutches go, yes, you will use the same ones as the 7M-GTE uses. :)

Good luck with the project, and welcome again. :)

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Jeff Lange said:
Nice to see you here as well as on Club4AG. Welcome.

For flywheels, you're somewhat limited, because the 1JZ uses it's own flywheel. If you want an aftermarket one, ask for a 7M-GTE flywheel with the JZ crank bolt pattern instead of the 7M pattern. There are some aftermarket ones (JUN I think???) I can't think of any right now, but I know they're out there, might be hard to come by though.

The US transmission is the same as the JDM transmission, the only difference is the bellhousing (which was already mentioned). Use the JDM transmission, if you ever need to replace it, you can use a US one. :)

As far as clutches go, yes, you will use the same ones as the 7M-GTE uses. :)

Good luck with the project, and welcome again. :)

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been a Supra enthusiast longer than I've been an AE86 enthusiast. They are both awesome cars...as I said, my stock auto tranny had taken a dump in my Supra so I started playing around with my GT-S. I miss my Supra though...and that's why I'm getting really excited to do this swap and drive her again.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I've been a Supra enthusiast and AE86 enthusiast for about as long as I can remember, my dad's had a Supra since I was about 4 (I still remember him buying it, black on black 86 MK2, he had a white 82 before that which I barely remember, but he had it for less than a year before trading it for the 86), and my uncle had the AE86 I now own, since 2 months before I was born. Always had a thing for both of those.

Not many people on this site can say they were into the Supra before the MKIV came out, especially people that are under 20. Go Me!

Heh. Good luck with the JZ swap. If you need info, etc, just ask. :) There's a lot of knowledgable people here.