1jz to 2jz swap

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
Hey guys. I have a massivily modded 1jz that I can't get to run correct and its really starting to make me angry. I'm thinking about yanking the 1jz out and putting in a 2jz and using my turbo and an afc neo to control it. Here is what I have

1jz
drewgo t4 manifold
gt4082 turbo
stinger ecu
640cc injectors
-8 AN fuel rail
twin walbros with -8 AN fuel line

So what parts are interchangeable. I can't find anything on the search. I've seen where I would need a jumper harness from the stock extended 1jz harness to the 2jz ecu. I think the manifold won't work, not sure. Will the 1jz harness work on a 2jz or is there connectors that don't work. I was thinking about getting a half cut, but you have to ship to a business. I guess my biggest worry is the harness. Also this will most likly be an aristo 2jz so I know I will need the oilpan from my 1jz, but I might buy a new one seems how mine has a big dent and the oil plug is striped.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
What happens if you do all that work switching to 2J and it doesn't run right? they don't make a 3j to try next. JK! But seriously. Try to figure out what is wrong the with 1J first. If you still want to swap then go ahead.

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
OneJArpus;1358242 said:
What happens if you do all that work switching to 2J and it doesn't run right? they don't make a 3j to try next. JK! But seriously. Try to figure out what is wrong the with 1J first. If you still want to swap then go ahead.

Like he said, try to fix the problem firstthen swap. I personally instead of buying a whole 2jz engine, i would just get the short block and bolt the 1JZ head to it seeing you already have a single turbo and manifold that wont work on the 2JZ engine.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
OneJArpus;1358242 said:

I didn't think that many people knew about the 3j. I would swap one of those in if I could get my hands on one.

If I could get the car to run right with the stinger then there would be no reason to do a motor swap. The nearest turner is about 5 hours away and specializes in lsx motors. I guess I should have thought about that before I bought a standalone. Now I would rather have a motor that is controlled by the the ecu again. I could just buy the parts to make the 1jz stock again, but I wanted to see what would be involved in going this route.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
u do realize that even with a 2j 7m or whatever u put in there that it has to be tuned with mods.... so your reasoning for a swap is stupid. Have you talked to the guys at driftmotion to see if maybe you can get some kind of decent map to hold you off till you can get it to a tuner. or worse case put a stock 1j ecu in it and use ur neo to tune it. The things u listed arent really massivley modded so the neo will work just fine.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
cruzinbill;1358305 said:
u do realize that even with a 2j 7m or whatever u put in there that it has to be tuned with mods.... so your reasoning for a swap is stupid. Have you talked to the guys at driftmotion to see if maybe you can get some kind of decent map to hold you off till you can get it to a tuner. or worse case put a stock 1j ecu in it and use ur neo to tune it. The things u listed arent really massivley modded so the neo will work just fine.

I've seen a lot of people road tune safc controlers because there just is not that much to worry about. Unlike a standalone where you need timing, adding fuel for cold start, adding fuel for colder conditions, trying to get the car to idle without an ICV plus filling in all those tiny cells. Plus with an lc-1 you can do your data logging. I'm not sure how much more modded a 1j can get except to add meth to it. I have a lot more parts, but those are the basic ones.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
my point is ur reason for getting rid of the 1j for a 2j is a bit dumb. If you have an safc and know how to use it then go stock ecu and use it. there are quite a few using and safc with ur size injectors. Then after that hell you can take a road trip to a tuner with the stinger in the trunk and get it tuned.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I agree the motor you have is strong it's all about the tune. Find a good tuner no matter the distance and let them work on it, hands down you'll be happy then. Motor swapping won't fix your problem because you will have the same issue with the 2j, guaranteed.

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
I also went to one dyno and tired to have the car tuned. The guy couldn't tune the car and didn't want to look into it at all. I guess this has scared me from taking to another tuner for a bunch of money. I might try to put some of the stock parts back on the car and try an safc.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
u can run an safc jsut by putting the stock ecu back in, noo real reason to remove any mods u can support over 5-600 with the injectors u have just fine. It's been stated many times u can go quite far on any jz with safc, now u may have to get a BCC and sCC but that is a given with an safc.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Swapping in a whole different engine is a lot less work then tuning a standalone. :sarcasm:

You have quite possibly the easiest to tune standalone you could buy. I have cars up and running (yes, even driveable) in 15 minutes using any brand of cheap wideband, working from a basemap that wasn't even using the same size injectors on another car! I can't believe there's no one in New York that can tune a simple standalone fuel map? :nono: You don't even have to touch the timing map on my basemap!

I could probably make a map for you that will make it run without even being there. It's just not as complicated as you're making it out to be. Email me the map you are using and we'll go from there.

Last edited:

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
aaron, I really don't know what this community would do without you. I tried to help the guy tune the car, but he wouldn't let me in his shop and I even gave him your number and told him to call you if he had a problem, but nothing. I'll get you all the specs on the car aaron and a video of the spark. I'll let you decide if its weak or not. If it wasn't so much to ship the car to you I would in a heartbeat.