1jz T4 manifold / turbo options.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I finally got my car to quit breaking up, and was enjoying it at 9 psi when suddenly my motor got loud. long story short, i have pieces of turbine wheel from my PT6176 holding my wastegate open. I have no idea how i blew this turbo, but it has alot of shaft play now, and there are some chips on the turbine wheel.

Since I had only 8k miles on this set up and never ran over 9 psi I am weary to try another precision turbo. I have been looking at the borg warner S362 FMW as a replacement but if there are other recommendations I would like to hear them.

On to the rest of my set up...

I have a T4 manifold that works fine, but man its a PITA to get the manifold on and off the car, and I had to clock my turbo all crazy to make it work. Furthermore it places my tial 38mm wastegate in a terrible place to change springs ect. So my questions are what is a good 1jz T4 mainfold that is engineered facilitate swapping turbos, wastegate springs, and clocking the turbo correctly? I have read good things about the MTR and drewgo manifolds but figured I would ask for some real world opinions.

Lastly, is a tial 38mm gate too small for my set up? I never had trouble keeping boost at 9 psi with the tial 38 and the pt6176, but I usually see people running larger gates now a days.

Thanks for the help. I wish I could catch a break, I was hoping to be spending my supra fund on standalone not another turbo set up:: angry ::

~scott

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Damn the turbine wheel let loose? What did Precision say about it?

I have had no first hand experience with manifolds for the 1j but the MTR looks like it might be a pain to get the WG even on it with a 3" or even worse a 4" pipe in the way.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Yes the maifold is a bitch.. as for the turbo. I have been running a used precision 6262 for 9 thousand miles at 22psi+ with out a single issue.. was you turbo new when you bought it? And were you suppling sufficent oil to it. No restrictor fittings right ?

Also just a thought. Something I ran into on my last turbo I had a huge boost leak.. and the turbo was having to work much harder than it should have been.

if every thing on your end checks out I would for sure contact precision. Maybe the nut came loose on the turbin.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I got the turbo as a kit from sound performance. The only thing i supplied was the manifold. So hopefully they supplied the correct oil and water lines. I did use the supplied oil restrictor i think they are pretty standard for precision turbos.

Can anyone recommend a 1j t4 mani that is engineered well? Has anyone tried the quicksilver manifolds from supra store

I dont think i had a boost leak, i had great boost response, but it is a valid point.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sp f1 manifold. There is a group by for them on sf right now.

There is also the doc race manifold. Tho I do not know anyone running one with a 1j and mk3. I know Rodel had fitment problems but them fixed on his 2j.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
2? you can get them single or double. open or divided. Modded for qsv or not. all for the same price. And they come ceramic coated for that price as well. Right now iirc there about 1400. or could be lower. Good price for a quality manifold.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
according to reid I would "need" twin 44mm gates to prevent boost creep with the new "super efficient" 6266...I dunno. how much more efficient can it really be than my old 61? it was fine with a single 38mm.

The Sp manifold does look like it meets my requirements, and i agree for $1200 the price is decent. thanks for the heads up on that GB.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Wanted to update this thread and say that i found slag from the chia mani that i believe caused my turbo failure. I was not careful enough when inspecting that manifold before i mounted it. Tough way to learn.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya that sucks. I tried to grind all the thin parts of metal out of mine first.

The shitty collectors are a pain.