1JZ swap won't start

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Tried to start my jzx90 1JZ swap in my mx83 Cressida today with no luck. I've hard wired everything as it's going to be a track only car with a switch panel. I hooked up 12V to +B, +B1, BATT, and IGSW, and the two large black/yellow and black/red wires and small black/yellow wire on the body harness plug which apparently power the injectors, ignitor, cam and crank sensors. Ran 12V to the fuel pump and connected the starter solenoid wire. The car cranks and I can smell fuel but it won't start. I hooked my multimeter up to the coil harness and got nothing. The plugs are wet with fuel. The ecu and engine are grounded. I'm stumped, any help would be great!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you did a continuity test to make sure that the coils and injectors have the same power wire?

Cel hooked up?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
No, I'm not very good with wiring honestly. How do I do that?
No, just have the bare minimum right now to try and hear the engine run.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
So I was checking for power at the coils wrong. I do have coil power. However my battery only has 9.5 volts! I'm going to try a fresh battery and fresh gas (gas was very old) and see what happens.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya you need fresh gas. Old gas never works well.

Could also use a charger to start it.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I drained the tank and refilled with fresh gas, and used a good battery. No start. On one coil wire I'm getting 12v and on the other side 7v. As far as I've read the other side shouldn't have any power. What could cause that?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The other side gets grounded when it needs to fire.

Do you have spark?

Jump fp and b+ and see if the fuel pump comes on. If it does try to start.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
It was the dumbest thing ever... Had polarity reversed on the hard wired fuel pump. I guess the gas smell was old fuel in the rail and a little oil on the plugs. Fired right up and ran great. Thanks for the help hvyman.