1jz swap will not do anything

ALASupra

Oct 12, 2010
alabama
Ok so I bought a 86.5 with a 1jz swap. I drove it about 60 miles home with no problems ran like a champ. I went to leave the house had no problems at first but about 10 minutes down the road it started spitting and sputtering at 2k rpm like the cam sensor was going out(but would idle great besides it running rich air/fuel was reading 11). So when I got back to the house turned the car off, went inside for a few minutes came out to troubleshoot and it will not crank. Not even turn over, doesn't prime the fuel pump doesn't even turn the starter over. Now I have piggybacked the diagnostics plug to make sure it will send fuel and yes its getting fuel so not the pump. Also did the same thing to pull codes off the ecu and no codes. I have also tried locking and unlocking the doors to see if its the factory alarm killing the starter and the doesn't work as well. The battery is good I'm getting 12-14 volts, all dash lights, gauges, vents, radio, etc. are all working. I have checked all of the grounds and fuses I don't know where to go next. Gonna try to get the guy I bought it from to come check it out. Thanks everybody.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
mabey your starter went out on you. can you try hooking 12v strait to it to see if it is working.

i would say check your ecu caps but i dont think that would stop you from being able to turn the engine over.

Last edited:

ALASupra

Oct 12, 2010
alabama
Yea I have thought of that but didn't think that would be it because of it not priming the fuel pump. I will give it a try. I was able to get in touch with the previous owner he said he would ride out to check it out, maybe he knows something he didn't tell me. Thanks for the reply.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The ecu does not signal the starter. Not a ecu issue. yet. The car has to crank over, before you start worrying about ecu and fuel pump issues.
When the fuel pumnp turns on, depends on how the swap was wired.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
OneJSupra;1630940 said:
^^ oh ok :icon_roll if you say so ...

Don't be cocky, chip is right. If the car doesn't even crank then it is not a problem with the ECU.

However... I did once have a problem with wiring where the fuel injectors stuck open causing the motor to fill with fuel, then it wouldn't crank because the motor was hydrolocked.

Pull your plugs and see if you're full of fuel. You could have a combination of problems.

wht95scort

May 24, 2010
NJ
I'm with him ^ You stated that your AFR were in the 11's which is very rich especially for a car at idle. Its possible the cyliders are filled with fuel or you have leaky injectors which are leaking while the car is off. Pull the plugs and try cranking the car over.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
mkiiichip;1630949 said:
Why do you say that?

So if you pull your ECU out you can still crank over the motor? I have never tried this but I thought there was a start circuit for power to run to certain parts in the ecu and then power crank sensors and stuff a start switch.. Anyhow I am curious.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
mkiiichip;1632013 said:
Yes. Its obviously not going to start, but itll crank over.

Ahh, I see. I know that the starter circuit just opens the relay in the engine bay directing power from the battery to the starter, and the solenoid from the engine harness.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The starter relay is in the right kick panel...
There is a guy around here that claims to be a swap wiring expert, I wish he would chime in...

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
mkiiichip;1632024 said:
The starter relay is in the right kick panel...
There is a guy around here that claims to be a swap wiring expert, I wish he would chime in...

I do more of the actual swap parts. I don't take ECU's out and check to see if the motor starts, I thought you may go into those details, but I don't waste time with useless posts either.

ALASupra

Oct 12, 2010
alabama
Ok well thanks for all the insight guys. Turned out that the guy bypassed the clutch with some B/S wiring. Fixed that fired right up. But after a few days of driving the check engine light came back on and its not reving past like 2500. So i checked the codes and it gave me 31 and 34. Ok 31 is air flow meter signal, and 34 is turbocharger pressure. Thanks again for the help>

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
new2tha1j;1632318 said:
Ok well thanks for all the insight guys. Turned out that the guy bypassed the clutch with some B/S wiring. Fixed that fired right up. But after a few days of driving the check engine light came back on and its not reving past like 2500. So i checked the codes and it gave me 31 and 34. Ok 31 is air flow meter signal, and 34 is turbocharger pressure. Thanks again for the help>

I would look into vac lines, and make sure your map sensor is good.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Another '1jz issues' post that makes me love the fact I'm going MS2.

Btw, good info on a few things, these always help me with troubleshooting my own and other's cars.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
92TealSupra;1632160 said:
I do more of the actual swap parts. I don't take ECU's out and check to see if the motor starts, I thought you may go into those details, but I don't waste time with useless posts either.

I was just joshing ya.
As you can see here the ECU is not needed to signal the starter.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=038
There is a line that goes to the ecu for the cold start injector, but thats not needed to make the car turn over.

To the OP.
The map sensor has three wires and a vacuum line going to it.
Stock, the vacuum line originates at the vacuum filter, forward from the ISCV.

The three wires are (not in order):
5v Reference
Ground
Signal

Find which one is the signal, and post the voltage readings:
Key on, engine off,
Engine running,
And post the actual running vacuum reading.

Now we may have an ecu issue. (waiting for OneJ's "told ya so")