1JZ swap reliability questions

g7c5c

Oct 6, 2007
The Bronx
Hey folks--

Apologies in advance for being an utter noob...

I finally have the money to get a new engine put in my '87 Supra... the head gasket failed along with some other rubber parts and rather than try to keep replacing things that go wrong I figure it's best just to go 1J (correct me if I'm wrong at any point).

I'm not interested in making power at all really, although having ~400 hp on tap would be cool, what I really need is a car that's reliable to travel for work.. I regularly drive 300, 400 miles at a time for my job. The most logical thing would probably be to get a Prius or something, but driving any car other than my old Toyota makes me sick... separate daily driver is not an option, I just hate all other cars, especially the soulless appliances they're trying to pass off as cars nowadays :(

So let's say I can spare $8-10k for this. I can't do the work myself for a few reasons, so that has to include parts and labor. What should I focus on for reliability's sake?

I will definitely have external gaskets and seals and a new water pump done... If the engine shows good compression would it be at all helpful to open it up and put a metal gasket in, or is that just a waste of money? Are stock turbos on these things a chronic weak point, or is that only if the boost is increased? If I'm going to be driving it all summer would an upgraded radiator/oil cooler be necessary?

Again sorry if I come across as stupid in any way... I know most of you guys wrench on your own cars and I definitely respect that--not looking for any pity here but I have Lyme disease and doing anything more than say, putting an air conditioner in a window, is just really taxing.

Thanks for any advice!

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I would get a 1J.... full gasket kit from Driftmotion..... consider replacing valve stem seals while the motor is out.... the only real thing that sucks about the 1J is the ceramic turbines as they can blow over time (Or over boosting too high).

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Get all new sensors, seals, hoses and a brand new engine wiring harness. I do realize this is a non US production car, so this might be difficult. Regardless, the items I mentioned, being brand new, will go a long way to improve reliability. One question though, how is the weather in your area? I'd hate to be caught in a snow storm with a Supra, unless I had totally prepared for it...

Edit: swap on a 2JZGTE, follow above advice, and call it a day. And be within budget, very likely.

g7c5c

Oct 6, 2007
The Bronx
Thank you guys... I'm in the northeast, so we do get snow here. I plan on driving through the winter on skinny dedicated winter tires and getting it washed frequently... Anything else I should do to prepare?