1jz swap mk3 CEL problem

boostedsupra87

Jul 16, 2009
miami
Hi guys hope all is well . .I rarely get on here but I have a problem with my CEL on my car . . .ive read about cel problem on other threads but all seem to not work . .mine is on but wen I trip the diagnostic box to read the codes it wont read them it doesnt blink just stays on . .I really want to fix this problem as I have a horrible misfire at top end during wot when boost starts to come up and I know it has to be a sensor I already checked plugs coils and coils plugs but my cel is on making me believe its a sensor problem. .I can just go ahead and swap important sensors with my freinds 1j like cps cam sensor air temp ect but that would be a huge pain without knowing which is bad I mean thats the point of the cel. .any help would be appreciated thanks. . .btw its and 89 na with a soarer 1j and jza70 harness and ecu

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The check engine light should be wired to the w pin on the Ecu. Check that first if it's on all the time.

Second have you pulled the blue boots off the coils and really looked at the coils? There is most likely cracks on there.

Also what kind of plugs and what are they gapped to?

If it starts missing and crackling or it kinda stops misses and starts again like fc then it's most likely a weak point in the ignition system.

boostedsupra87

Jul 16, 2009
miami
Thanks for the reply . . .Its not the coils I thot they were bad as mostbof the topics of a misfire while entering boost were cracked coils . I checked them boots off and were fine I put new ngk coppers gapped correctly 28 and the funny thing is ive done a couple pulls to redline without it happening but thats only less than 3% of the time . .I will check the ecu for the w pin but the cel is constantly on and it wont let me read it

ghostmkiiiturbo

Aug 27, 2013
Florence, KY
I have the same issue with the CEL on my 1997 corolla. I can't run the diagnostics either. I jumper the E1 to TE1 and nothing happens turn the key to "ON" and the CEL just stays on.