1JZ swap issues

odomd

computer illiterate
Jan 11, 2006
nj
It has been awhile but I wrote everything down when I did mine. Let me know what you need and I will dig it out. My swap was a soarer 1j auto. once you get the motor running and driving you will need to buy an electric speedometer. Because the 1j auto uses a sensor to decide when the tranny will shift into 4th gear.no "speedocable ". If you simply swap out the sensor for the cable the car won't shift into 4th gear. Your options are to use a 7m auto and existing speedo cable and gauge, swap to a 5sp and use existing cable and gauge, use 1j auto and have no speedometer or use the 1j auto and buy an aftermarket electric speedometer. Sorry if this is confusing but this is what I learned doing mine.

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
well looking at the harness that was chopped it ran from below the intake manifold has the diagnosis port and the ignitor. i matched all the wires except 2 wires see pic what do i do with these 2 wires....green with red stripe and brown they run from small connector on ignitor...sporry wrong pic...

Attachments

• IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 24

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
okay now back to the harness that was chopped after wiring up the ignitor minus the 2 wires where i could not find matching colors to and is not wires up i still have 11 wires to wire up
fat black,
white,
small black
2 wires white with black stripes
blue
2 wires black with red stripes
thin white
thin black with red strip
red with yellow stripe

the black with yellow, black with orange and black with red is wired up okay
they matched up so i only have 3 wires goimng to my ea2 connector at fuse box area.

the alternator plug from my ma70 fuse box is not wired up yet because i could not match the wires from the loose wires left back from above.

Attachments

• IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG00024.jpg
    IMG00024.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 8

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
streetpower said:
well looking at the harness that was chopped it ran from below the intake manifold has the diagnosis port and the ignitor. i matched all the wires except 2 wires see pic what do i do with these 2 wires....green with red stripe and brown they run from small connector on ignitor...sporry wrong pic...

I believe these are for the hydrofan temp. sensor that screws into the JDM radiator (or Koyo equivilent).

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
now going to the IH1 plug i snipped off the B1 plug off the 7m harness and started splicing into the 1j harness following Af1JZ write up again because i am assuming i have a soarer 1j harness...

cannot locate Green – Brown from IK2 (Ground for Fuel Pump) ****i need thiswire to start
cannot locate • Black/Blue – Black from IK2 (NSW)
cannot locate • White – Blue from IK1 (AT Switch)
****connected• Black/Red small – Green from IJ1 (Fuel)
cannot locate • Black/Orange small – Black/Orange from IJ2 (switched power, ignition) *****i need this wire to start
****connected• Black/White big – Small Black/White from IJ1 (Starter)
cannot locate • Black/Yellow – Black/Yellow from plug on engine harness loom (VSV Water)
*****connected• Yellow – Red/Green from IJ1 (Fuel)
*****connected• Red/Yellow – Red/Yellow from IJ1 (ELS)
*****connected• Black/Orange big – both Black/Orange from IJ1 (Switched power, ignition)
*****connected• Black/Red big – Black/Red from IJ1 (Fuel Main)

Attachments

• IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
here are some pics of ecu and chopped harness and the connectors...

Attachments

• IMG00030.jpg
    IMG00030.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 7M-B101.jpg
    7M-B101.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 18
  • C1&ALT.jpg
    C1&ALT.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 15

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
JonoTurbo said:
You don't have to extend them to the alternator, the EA2 plug on the engine harness has those wires in it, so you have to connect the wires from the body portion of the plug to the same color wires on the supra body harness. The only wire you have to extend is the ring terminal.
i think i should cut the alternator conn off the 7m body harness and cut the alterator connctor off the 1j engine harness near the fuse box and join them together matching the colors???or should i just splice it into the 1 j harness while leaving the 1 j alternator connector athached to the harness???
.....remember my harness was chopped so i don't have an ea2 connector on my 1 j harness i just have a bunch of wires...i have an ea2 connector on the 7m body near the fuse box along with the black alternator wire and the ring terminal wire...

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
p808998_1.jpg

p808998_2.jpg

p808998_3.jpg

p808998_4.jpg

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Ok, apparently you don't have an EA2 connector, you're going to have to either make your own connector/use the 7m engine harness connector or hardwire the EA2 wires.

Take a look at this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051216115540/www.1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs4/EA21989.pdf

If your not using the hydrofan, you'll only need 6 of the wires, the 3 efi relay wires and the 3 alt wires. Try to color match the cut wires you have with the diagram above and then connect them to the equivalent wires on the 7m chassis side.

EDIT: Since you definitely have a soarer engine, you may not be able to color match the wires, I forgot about that.

The connector you show pictured on top of the radiator support looks like the IH1 connector, which is the only other connector you need to wire to start the engine.

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
JonoTurbo said:
Ok, apparently you don't have an EA2 connector, you're going to have to either make your own connector/use the 7m engine harness connector or hardwire the EA2 wires.

Take a look at this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051216115540/www.1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs4/EA21989.pdf

If your not using the hydrofan, you'll only need 6 of the wires, the 3 efi relay wires and the 3 alt wires. Try to color match the cut wires you have with the diagram above and then connect them to the equivalent wires on the 7m chassis side.

EDIT: Since you definitely have a soarer engine, you may not be able to color match the wires, I forgot about that.

The connector you show pictured on top of the radiator support looks like the IH1 connector, which is the only other connector you need to wire to start the engine.
okay so i wires up the 3 efi relay wires but i cannot match up the alternator wires maybe becaue it is a soarer engine as you said
question is the 7m alterator plug on the 7m body harness....stays loose on touched?
i have the 1j engine harness and alternator connector do i leave it athached to the 1 j alternator or do i cut the end of the 7m alternator body harness and splice it into the 1j alternator harness.. seeing i cannot match up any of the wires from the chopped harness area.

logically i beleive i should cut the end of the alt plu 7m body harness and join those wires into the 1j alt plug because it is feeding from the fuse box to the engine harness?????

Attachments

• ALTPLUG.JPG
    ALTPLUG.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 18

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
streetpower said:
now going to the IH1 plug i snipped off the B1 plug off the 7m harness and started splicing into the 1j harness following Af1JZ write up again because i am assuming i have a soarer 1j harness...

cannot locate Green – Brown from IK2 (Ground for Fuel Pump) ****i need thiswire to start
cannot locate • Black/Orange small – Black/Orange from IJ2 (switched power, ignition) *****i need this wire to start
cannot locate • Black/Yellow – Black/Yellow from plug on engine harness loom (VSV Water)
*****connected• Black/Orange big – both Black/Orange from IJ1 (Switched power, ignition)
any ideas on the wires i need????

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
streetpower said:
okay so i wires up the 3 efi relay wires but i cannot match up the alternator wires maybe becaue it is a soarer engine as you said
question is the 7m alterator plug on the 7m body harness....stays loose on touched?
i have the 1j engine harness and alternator connector do i leave it athached to the 1 j alternator or do i cut the end of the 7m alternator body harness and splice it into the 1j alternator harness.. seeing i cannot match up any of the wires from the chopped harness area.

logically i beleive i should cut the end of the alt plu 7m body harness and join those wires into the 1j alt plug because it is feeding from the fuse box to the engine harness?????

You are right. Logically you need to cut off the 7m alt plug and wire it to the 1jz alt plug, however the 1jz alt plug wires should run through the 1jz harness to that location, so you should be able to find them in the chopped wires you have. If not, I suppose you can always just run your own wires.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
streetpower said:

any ideas on the wires i need????

-The black/orange ignition wire should have been pin 17 of the B1 connector.
-Was the car originally auto or 5spd? The NSW will be black/white if auto, black/blue if 5spd and should have been pin 12 of B1.
-As far as the ground for the fuel pump, i'm pretty sure its grounded to the chassis in the rear of the car.

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
well i sorted out the alternator wires and power up the ecu and fuel system
just need help on the black starter wire when i give it power the starter solonoid kicks over where should i hook this up ?

Attachments

• starter1.JPG
    starter1.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 9
  • starter.JPG
    starter.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 12

streetpower

Oct 28, 2007
Mississauga,Ont
JonoTurbo said:
-The black/orange ignition wire should have been pin 17 of the B1 connector.
-Was the car originally auto or 5spd? The NSW will be black/white if auto, black/blue if 5spd and should have been pin 12 of B1.
-As far as the ground for the fuel pump, i'm pretty sure its grounded to the chassis in the rear of the car.
i do not have a pin 17 on the 7m b1 plug
the car is an 1990 auto turbo supra

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
streetpower said:
i do not have a pin 17 on the 7m b1 plug
the car is an 1990 auto turbo supra

Sorry, should be pin 14 of B1, one of the diagrams I have is wrong.
Also, that pin I gave you for the NSW is wrong. It's pin 8 of B1 on the 5spd, dunno about the auto.