1jz swap coming soon

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
any JDM engine is a crap shoot. expect blown turbos, and a motor that needs new gaskets, water pump, belts, tensioners, idler pullys. ect. My 1jz had blown turbos when I got it. That is why id recommend the 2jzgte. The cheap cast manifolds for 2jz make a single turbo swap pretty cheap and easy compared to dealing with some Chinese 1jz manifold that will not fit great and need all sorts of work. ask me how I know...

jake390

Feb 11, 2015
north Carolina
Hmm I guess I'll just go with this place. I was planning on going single turbo before I put the engine in. But I'll look into doing a 2jz instead

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
jake390;2040284 said:
Hmm I guess I'll just go with this place. I was planning on going single turbo before I put the engine in. But I'll look into doing a 2jz instead
Can I give you a tip? I would wait until you have all the parts needed for the swap then i would buy the engine,so you can maximize your warranty and not be in a rush to get done.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
suprafreak123;2040330 said:
Can I give you a tip? I would wait until you have all the parts needed for the swap then i would buy the engine,so you can maximize your warranty and not be in a rush to get done.

great advice for sure.

I also recommend looking at the motor in person. remove the valve covers, get a compression test performed in front of you, check out the coolant passages for rust / crud, ect, make sure the oil pan is not damaged.

I was very patient, and found a clip with a stock air filter, and evidence that it was maintained at the Toyota dealer. It was my 3rd trip to the same JDM engine vendor. Even with being that picky, I still got blown turbos! so betting on going single right off the bat is a good call.

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'll chip in and say I bought a JDM engine, wasnt a 1j but a 7m. I went to a couple places and everything just seemed sketchy, I ended up picking a place called Osaka JDM here in montreal canada, I spoke back and forth with them a couple times and when the time came for the engine to be bought and put in everything when pretty well including them doing a headgasket job for free (I paid for parts). I was showed the engine being disassembled and what not. I paid and havent looked back since. I didnt go pas 8 psi this summer but I put on roughly 2000 pretty hard kms, no problems yet. All in all my point is I hear a lot of hate on JDM engine swaps but I've had nothing but a good experience (y)

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I was not trying to "hate" on JDM engines at all, I have been beating the crap out of mine for 10 years with no problems I have at least 25,000 miles on it. I am about to buy another one for my next project. But I am trying to help set a realistic expectation. To do it right, in my opinion, one needs to spend some money and time doing preventative maintenance, and be ready for blown turbos.