1jz swap coming soon

jake390

Feb 11, 2015
north Carolina
I've put some thought into it, and instead of going 7mgte I would like to just save money in the long run and go 1jzgte. I'm just posting this to get any tips on it before I get started. Saving up still but just trying to see where you 1jz swap guys got your engines. I mean, I've got close to 3k so far. I'm planning on doing the wiring harness myself, I can get mil spec connectors from work, so I want to take full advantage of that and make a sweet harness. I'm not really worried about the harness, just where to get it all. Any tips or heads up would be awesome, and I have done alot of research before posting so I have a good idea of how the swap goes, just want to get head start on what I can, I heard buying a clip is the best way but any advice would be appreciated.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
I'm actually doing the same thing and I got my list 1jz and 2jz for dummies stickie. It tell u everything. All I did was printed it out and went on driftmotion to get prices. I think the same challenge I'm going to have is the wiring because you have to take mk3 chasis plugs cut the 7m harness plug the connect to those body plugs and re pin them to your 1jz harness body plugs or you an send it out and have done, so you can save a headache or two lol.

jake390

Feb 11, 2015
north Carolina
Yeah I did some reading there, where are you/did get your 1j? I'd like to tackle the harness myself, I know I can do it it's just is it worth the time? Lol not sure on that yet.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
I HAve 4 shop that offer complete JZ close to me. I think I'm going to go with Driftmotion because they have experience and besides selling motor set the actually deal with them all day ,everyday.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I highly recommend that you just skip the 1jz and go right for a 2jz. I have had my 1jz for 10 years and it has been great, but the 2jz has much better torque, and aftermarket support. The only reason I went with a 1jz is back when I did my swap it generally was the consensus that the 2jzgte required a lot of fire wall bashing. Turns out that is not such a big deal, and I had to bash my firewall a bit to get the 1jz in there anyways.

If you can find a JZA70 front clip then you will save a lot of time, that is what I used for my swap. I completed it in about 3 months while going to college and working part time.

The body wiring is not that difficult, just get the TEWD for your year car, and the TEWD for whatever car your harness came out of and figure it all out.

jake390

Feb 11, 2015
north Carolina
Yeah I emailed Aaron and Driftmotion to see what they have, how much more would a 2jz cost over a 1jz? And I'm not that worried about it, I'm just wanting something more reliable, I just feel more safe not having to worry about my head gasket. Lol

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
scottiedawg66;2040122 said:
I highly recommend that you just skip the 1jz and go right for a 2jz. I have had my 1jz for 10 years and it has been great, but the 2jz has much better torque, and aftermarket support. The only reason I went with a 1jz is back when I did my swap it generally was the consensus that the 2jzgte required a lot of fire wall bashing. Turns out that is not such a big deal, and I had to bash my firewall a bit to get the 1jz in there anyways.

If you can find a JZA70 front clip then you will save a lot of time, that is what I used for my swap. I completed it in about 3 months while going to college and working part time.

The body wiring is not that difficult, just get the TEWD for your year car, and the TEWD for whatever car your harness came out of and figure it all out.
Damm that the freaking debate my mind is fighting. I just want to spend money once I already spent money on a stock 7mgte rebuild and it sucked butt.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I think my swap cost me about $6k total, but I started with an automatic Chaser engine. So I had to buy an R154, clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, oil pan etc. I also got my harness from Dr. tweak because I barely know how to plug a lamp in.

I would recommend going single turbo before putting the engine in since you don't know the condition of the turbos when you get the engine. Mine were blowing oil. And removing the stock twins while in the car required a crowbar and lots of cussing. My firewall is a little custom now...

I can screenshot all the stuff I bought from Driftmotion to give you an idea. There's a lot of little things.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
rhs;2040135 said:
I think my swap cost me about $6k total, but I started with an automatic Chaser engine. So I had to buy an R154, clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, oil pan etc. I also got my harness from Dr. tweak because I barely know how to plug a lamp in.

I would recommend going single turbo before putting the engine in since you don't know the condition of the turbos when you get the engine. Mine were blowing oil. And removing the stock twins while in the car required a crowbar and lots of cussing. My firewall is a little custom now...

I can screenshot all the stuff I bought from Driftmotion to give you an idea. There's a lot of little things.
Picture would be nice!! and this a 1jz?

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
rhs;2040135 said:

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
suprafreak123;2040139 said:

1JZ, yes. Another tip is to replace the coolant hide behind the head. Mine leaks and I can't get to it without the engine out of crazy contortion of my arm.

Here's a pic of everything I have ordered from driftmotion. This doesn't include buying an Izuzu trooper timing belt (if I remember correct) and serpentine belt from autozone (can't remember size).ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424801904.088749.jpg

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Also, don't get the universal intercooler kit lol. It doesn't quite fit. Best to measure what you need and go to siliconeintakes.com for parts.

jake390

Feb 11, 2015
north Carolina
I found someone with 3-4 1jz engines and he said 1350 for an engine ecu, and wiring harness. And another 180 for shipping. I found it on eBay and called the company, "jdm engine depot" located in nj. Can anyone please let me know if they've dealt with this company and their experience with them? If they're good I'll be ordering my 1jz Monday

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
jake390;2040263 said:
I found someone with 3-4 1jz engines and he said 1350 for an engine ecu, and wiring harness. And another 180 for shipping. I found it on eBay and called the company, "jdm engine depot" located in nj. Can anyone please let me know if they've dealt with this company and their experience with them? If they're good I'll be ordering my 1jz Monday

I think that's one of the bigger engine importers, but I used JDM Engine Zone. It's kind of a crapshoot since the importer probably doesn't know the engine condition, so pray you get a good one.

Also, just hope they don't use R&L Carriers to ship it. They managed to lose my engine. And on the day it was to finally be delivered a guy showed up to pick up an engine, then 2 hours later another guy came the drop off my engine. Such a mess.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I wish editing posts on my phone worked better...

One more thing. I think early 1JZs were prone to crank walk? Someone can maybe chime in with more on that.