1JZ Spark Plug Analysis...

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
So I decided to take a break from siding the house and start working on the 1J this afternoon since its really hot and my allergies are effing killing me.
I pulled the valve covers, which seem to be leaking some oil, and I also pulled the plugs to check out their condition:

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

Pretty sketchy. I think some of that oil is from the valve covers and I also think the stock twins were bad. What do you all think?
Should I pull the head to see what doin' and replace the headgasket, or just rock it the way it is?
I wanted to do ARP headsteads, but are they really necssary for my goals of around 400 whp?

Thanks in advance,
Oppie

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I posted a thread about a simmilar problem about 2 weeks ago. I changed my plugs and i had a bunch of oil on threads like you do but the tips of the plugs didn't look anything like yours. Also, i had this problem with only 2 of them. How many are like that on your engine? just some or all of them? Mine had fresh oil on them but they weren't gunked up like yours, they were clean just soaking in fresh oil. From what i understand you have fouled plugs, meaning that the temperature is not enough to clean off carbon deposits, oil, and other crap. www.ngksparklugs.com has some pictures of the same looking plugs. It might be million of other reasons though also. It's almost impossible to tell for sure what it is. Most likely its the valve seal issues and/or piston rings on top of wrong temperature plugs. I still didn't figure out what exactly is wrong with mine i'm just running it like it is, i do see bluish smoke on start up after long runs, but thats about it.

Edit: heres the link to the problem id i think yours look like third from the top. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp?mode=nml

Last edited:

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Pernilongo;1111645 said:
I posted a thread about a simmilar problem about 2 weeks ago. I changed my plugs and i had a bunch of oil on threads like you do but the tips of the plugs didn't look anything like yours. Also, i had this problem with only 2 of them. How many are like that on your engine? just some or all of them? Mine had fresh oil on them but they weren't gunked up like yours, they were clean just soaking in fresh oil. From what i understand you have fouled plugs, meaning that the temperature is not enough to clean off carbon deposits, oil, and other crap. www.ngksparklugs.com has some pictures of the same looking plugs. It might be million of other reasons though also. It's almost impossible to tell for sure what it is. Most likely its the valve seal issues and/or piston rings on top of wrong temperature plugs. I still didn't figure out what exactly is wrong with mine i'm just running it like it is, i do see bluish smoke on start up after long runs, but thats about it.

I did come across your thread in searching. I figured my case was a little different and I would post up some visuals.
All of them were pretty bad, but cyl 6 seemed to be the worst. I might just run it the way it is, but not sure if I should do the ARP headstuds. Is it worth buying/doing if I'm going to be around 400 wheel?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Oppie1;1111652 said:
I did come across your thread in searching. I figured my case was a little different and I would post up some visuals.
All of them were pretty bad, but cyl 6 seemed to be the worst. I might just run it the way it is, but not sure if I should do the ARP headstuds. Is it worth buying/doing if I'm going to be around 400 wheel?

I don't think its imperative for 400hp. You might need hotter spark plugs though. With that conditions of the spark plugs i think there are bigger issues than headstuds. But i hope i'm wrong and all you need is just a hotter plug. Good luck man.

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Pernilongo;1111645 said:

Edit: heres the link to the problem id i think yours look like third from the top. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp?mode=nml

Pernilongo;1111659 said:
I don't think its imperative for 400hp. You might need hotter spark plugs though. With that conditions of the spark plugs i think there are bigger issues than headstuds. But i hope i'm wrong and all you need is just a hotter plug. Good luck man.

Thanks for you help. I'll have to look up what plugs were in there. I know they were NGK's.