1JZ running very dirty, Trying to Pass Emissions Test

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
two years ago, my 1JZ passed Virginia emissions just fine. now, it failed HC's, CO% and NO at both test speeds.

no codes stored in the ecu. stock engine with intake, 3" exhaust and MINE's ECU.

one symptom is that it is slow to start (cranks 3-4 times to start), unless the engine is cold, and it is cold outside, then it starts right up.

when it is slow to start, it smokes a little bit on startup; I think this is excess fuel burning from the extra cranking?

here are the emissions test results:

At 15MPH:
HC: Limit= 92 Reading= 170
CO: Limit= .37 Reading= .83
NO: Limit= 1200 Reading= 2857

At 25MPH:
HC: Limit= 167 Reading= 169
CO: Limit= .53 Reading= .81
NO: Limit= 1167 Reading= 2339

Where do I start?? :1zhelp:

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
You could get a new cat or you could retard the timing. Those are probably the fastest and easiest ways to pass.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Run on E85 keep the boost down or off.
The Alchy with no boost will make your emissions look like your car runs on water.
No boost will keep your EGTs pressure HP emissions low.
Maybe even turn off one of the cylinders turn off both the coil & injector at the same speed your car will run 17% cleaner with one cylinder off.

A tune up new plugs oil change new cat possibly.

Your not going to get your emissions much lower with timming & adjusting afr because by adjusting those it will cause one reading to be better while the others get worse. Of course you will need to adjust the AFR with E85 though.

Dead last resort plumb in a EGR exhaust gas being reburned & lowers EGTs..:nono:

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Cz.;1430121 said:
You could get a new cat or you could retard the timing. Those are probably the fastest and easiest ways to pass.

the cat is a high-flow and is 2 years old, could it have gone bad already?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1430446 said:
Run on E85 keep the boost down or off.
The Alchy with no boost will make your emissions look like your car runs on water.
No boost will keep your EGTs pressure HP emissions low.
Maybe even turn off one of the cylinders turn off both the coil & injector at the same speed your car will run 17% cleaner with one cylinder off.

A tune up new plugs oil change new cat possibly.

Your not going to get your emissions much lower with timming & adjusting afr because by adjusting those it will cause one reading to be better while the others get worse. Of course you will need to adjust the AFR with E85 though.

Dead last resort plumb in a EGR exhaust gas being reburned & lowers EGTs..:nono:

would the engine be running any boost while the car is on the machine? seems like it wouldn't, unless there was that much resistance from the rollers.

E85 seems like a pretty involved option, not sure that would work for me.

but maybe new plugs, oil change, possibly a cat, and maybe run it on 5 cylinders?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Cali runs it on rollers at different speeds and if you have an 455H013 smog tech keeping the gear low it will boost for sure.
Wedge your wastegates open to build no boost or make a pretty well hidden pressure leak at one of the couplers on the bottom.
Be carfull not to drive it long to keep dirt water out during vacume/idle when leaking.
E85 runs on different AFRs so you would need a AFC & wide band..

In the long run your better off finding someone to make it majicaly pass while making your wallet lighter.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
88mkIIIproject;1430766 said:
the cat is a high-flow and is 2 years old, could it have gone bad already?

It did for mine, I bought a new one since I failed the emission test (which I then did pass). My car's timing is pretty advanced so it would misfire at idle which probably is what killed it so fast. In WA our emission tests are every other year so when I went the next time I failed again. Instead of buying a new cat I just retarded the timing a bunch, made the car lame as hell to drive, but it passed easy. Granted, this is for a NA corolla, so it's slightly different.

carguy34

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Denver, CO
I noticed you said you are running a Mines ECU. Do you have the stock computer available? Did you have the Mine's a couple years back? I have a stock 1JZ, with a stock ECU and I passed my Denver emissions. I actually had to take all the correction out of the SAFC2 that I was running and I put a Random Tech cat on in front of a stock cat. I think that with a proper tune up (plugs, BG 44K, confirm timing, etc.) that if the motor is warm and the cat working you should be able to pass. Do you have access to a second cat that you could throw on for the test? Just trying to come up with easy ideas for you. Good luck, hopefully you can get it through.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Cz.;1432123 said:
It did for mine, I bought a new one since I failed the emission test (which I then did pass). My car's timing is pretty advanced so it would misfire at idle which probably is what killed it so fast. In WA our emission tests are every other year so when I went the next time I failed again. Instead of buying a new cat I just retarded the timing a bunch, made the car lame as hell to drive, but it passed easy. Granted, this is for a NA corolla, so it's slightly different.

I am pretty sure I killed the converter over the past two years. I am going to be replacing it in a few days, with an oil change and new plugs.

carguy34;1436206 said:
I noticed you said you are running a Mines ECU. Do you have the stock computer available? Did you have the Mine's a couple years back? I have a stock 1JZ, with a stock ECU and I passed my Denver emissions. I actually had to take all the correction out of the SAFC2 that I was running and I put a Random Tech cat on in front of a stock cat. I think that with a proper tune up (plugs, BG 44K, confirm timing, etc.) that if the motor is warm and the cat working you should be able to pass. Do you have access to a second cat that you could throw on for the test? Just trying to come up with easy ideas for you. Good luck, hopefully you can get it through.

I had the stock computer when I passed last time, and then installed the mine's and sold the stock ecu, so I can't put it back in to see if that helps.

Is BG 44K good stuff? I haven't seen it before, is it available at most auto parts stores?

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
yea did you ever pass? im about to 1jz my supra and want to know how hard itll be to pass in VA.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
StrikeIS;1447996 said:
yea did you ever pass? im about to 1jz my supra and want to know how hard itll be to pass in VA.

Ok i got it to pass a few days ago, legitimately!

Changed the cat (magnaflow high-flow 3"), new NGK's, royal purple change, and it passed just fine :)

it was kinda close in one category; i need to check the sheet to see which, but it passed!! just like it did 2 years ago. running great as ever. :naughty:

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
...oh and it only took this long because i had it down for the cat, rear bumper re-paint and 89 3-piece spoiler install, all done really well (not by me this time haha)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
karlmk3;1447338 said:
dang this makes me gald i dont have to mess with emissions you ever pass bro

the 1jz actually runs really clean with a fresh cat, even with the lack of egr equipment. it passed after a little work