1JZ running rough!

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
T701jz;1300961 said:
The water temp sensor could be faulty and not sending the right signal to the ECU and the reason why you're running rich.

Thank you for the help, I will look into that.

Do you think hairline crack in 2 of the coilpacks could cause this? or is that something that would be an issue at higher rpms rather than mid-lower rpm?

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
10secdream;1300971 said:
What heat range of plug are you running?

Im sorry I dont know the heat range of the plug im running. I bought some Champion Copper plugs and gapped them myself to .8mm like other thread that I had read suggested. The plugs were supposed to be for the 2jzgte or the 7mgte (which use the same plug i believe?) The first plugs I had were NGK platinum and gapped at .9 or so which led me to believe that the spark plugs were at fault. But the same thing is still happening with my new plugs.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
CanadianLurch;1301389 said:
Thank you for the help, I will look into that.

Do you think hairline crack in 2 of the coilpacks could cause this? or is that something that would be an issue at higher rpms rather than mid-lower rpm?

Looking at the plugs you're definitely having fuel mixture problem all the way across the board. Water temp sensor is just one of the things that could affect your fuel mixture. I would definitely check the O2 sensor first then look for any bad diodes and capacitors in the ECU. You can also try another Igniter (barrow). I'm guessing you already check for code errors...Right?

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
Ya i checked for code errors but I couldnt get it to work. There is no CEL at all either. It does come on when I turn the key forward, and then off as soon as engine starts like its supposed to. The only other light on is the ABS because I didnt want it hooked up.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
CanadianLurch;1301923 said:
Ya i checked for code errors but I couldnt get it to work. There is no CEL at all either. It does come on when I turn the key forward, and then off as soon as engine starts like its supposed to. The only other light on is the ABS because I didnt want it hooked up.

I would get a wideband and see what AFR's you are running. It appears you are just running rich and carbon fouling your plugs. I really doubt it is your igniter as ignitors either work or they do not. As suggested, check your ecu for leaking capacitors. The ecu is one of the many overlooked problems but happens to be the source of many.

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
You're plugs are definitely fouled. It's hard to tell from the low quality pics but they look fuel fouled. They should be flat black if this is the case. If they're shiny black it would indicate oil fouling.

See these sites to read, compare, and diagnose:

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

Did you replace the map sensor as well? Seal the cracks in your coilpacks also or get new ones. That is definitely not helping if spark is being lost or grounding to the cylinder head. Might even cause bad signals to the ecu.

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
Marotta1;1302082 said:
You're plugs are definitely fouled. It's hard to tell from the low quality pics but they look fuel fouled. They should be flat black if this is the case. If they're shiny black it would indicate oil fouling.

See these sites to read, compare, and diagnose:

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

Did you replace the map sensor as well? Seal the cracks in your coilpacks also or get new ones. That is definitely not helping if spark is being lost or grounding to the cylinder head. Might even cause bad signals to the ecu.

Ok, well the plugs are definately flat black (and when the problem arose the exhaust smelled of gasoline) I will be working on it hopefully this weekend. I have ordered a used MAP sensor, Coilpacks, and Tuned ecu, (also some 440CC 2jz injectors) So hopefully this will help fix the problem. I will also be trying to fix my coilpacks first to see if it is the issue. Also I have also opened my stock ecu and it looks brand new (blue capacitors not browning) and absolutely no leaks. Thank you for all the help guys I appreciate it once again and this weekend I will be trying to get her running even better than before (with the new ecu w00t)

BigSupe

Jun 16, 2007
England
I had exactly the same problems as you when my ecu fubared

*When idling it would be smooth but sometimes would cut out or chuck out black smoke from the exhaust
*Wouldn't rev past 3krpm and would cough and splutter etc
*No power or surge to the accelaration
*Engine check light flashed on at startup but wouldn't flash or give any fault codes when bridging terminals in the diagnostic box

One of my capacitors leaked under an adjacent component so you couldn't see it until you de-soldered it. I cleaned the board soldered it back up and worked fine ever since

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
BigSupe;1302998 said:
I had exactly the same problems as you when my ecu fubared

*When idling it would be smooth but sometimes would cut out or chuck out black smoke from the exhaust
*Wouldn't rev past 3krpm and would cough and splutter etc
*No power or surge to the accelaration
*Engine check light flashed on at startup but wouldn't flash or give any fault codes when bridging terminals in the diagnostic box

One of my capacitors leaked under an adjacent component so you couldn't see it until you de-soldered it. I cleaned the board soldered it back up and worked fine ever since

Sweet bro thanks for the info. Hopefully my new tuned ecu should be here this week to solve my problem AND make it got faster.....