1JZ Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
So I am trying to figure out the variations in the power steering pumps between the 1J's and 2J's.

From product pictures, it looks like the 2JZGE power steering pump is the same as the 1JZGTE pump, whereas the 2JZGTE pump has a third ear for an additional bolt to run through.

Can anyone confirm which 2JZ pump is compatible with the 1JZ? Or is the answer simply that they are all the same? I am trying to just rebuild one of my spare, blown 1JZ pumps but want to make sure I know all of the details. I was always under the impression that the 1JZ power steering pumps where unique to that engine in some way, or needed modification or something.

Thanks for any help!

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
All the JZ power steering pumps can be swapped around. You may have to unbolt fittings and swap them from one to the other but that's about it. I have run both 2jz-gte and 2jz-ge pumps on a 1jz.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Freshmaker;1561433 said:
Im very interested too! I have done some research on it too, people just say "2JZ pumps work"

Please let us know what you find :)

haha that's pretty much exactly what I have heard. I found that driftmotion does a rebuild service for 130 for the 1JZ pump (excluding the core). http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-reman1jzpspump.php

JonoTurbo;1561494 said:
All the JZ power steering pumps can be swapped around. You may have to unbolt fittings and swap them from one to the other but that's about it. I have run both 2jz-gte and 2jz-ge pumps on a 1jz.

that's awesome, thanks for the info. I got my parts store to order me in a rebuild kit for the 2JZGE pump just for grins, and I just confirmed that the rebuild kits for the GTE and GE pumps are the same, so I am going to go the rebuild route and see what happens...the kit contains the metal gasket between the housings and some O-rings internally, and it's only ~$20, and is actually re-packaged from Toyota bags into another company's product lol.

So as of now, it looks like the 1J, 2JZGE and 2JZGTE pumps were the same internally, but the housings varied depending on the application. But all of them **should be** interchangeable as JonoTurbo ^^ said.

I'm gonna try to rebuild this thing, and also source out a new bearing and have it installed in the housing and see if it all works!!

I'll post up the results....

Thanks for the info, and hopefully someone who has already gone this route will chime in with their experience!

I have just had a 1j pump rebuilt, it was making a rattling noise on full lock & did nothing below about 1100 RPM.

The company replaced all the seals inside (excluding the vanes) They said the orings were all completely baked. I am happy to report when I popped the thing back in I now have full power assist rite down at base 700 idle :icon_bigg

It cost me £145 ($50050.78 :sarcasm:) to have the pump done. I think now I know it really is just the orings I will change them in my spare pump myself.

The only good thing about a company doing it is they can bench test the pump pressure on a rig without putting it all back in the car to do so.

When researching the pumps I found the 2j pumps were definitely the same as were many many other toyota models, it seems the pump was a pretty standard part with just brackets changing.

Given the shop saying the pump obviously got real hot I was comparing the 7m PS cooler against my JDM 1j PS cooler. The 1j has a bit of pipe that just loops around once in the nose cone while the 7m has a really nice all metal high pressure tube with a double bank of fins the cooler pipes pass through twice. I'm thinking I may look into upgrading the 1j cooler to the beefier 7M one.

Don't know if the coolers are the same across the pond or if they fitted a bigger one on the yUK cars because our roads are so bendy & we insist cars can turn rite angles into parking spaces instead of being diagonal, all of which would give the steering a harder time here?

Possible upgrade anyhoo, only bummer is the 1j cooler inputs & exits on different sides of the car while the 7M one has both connections on the drivers side.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I am going to attempt to use a USDM NA pump from a GS300, So far I have had to remove the resi from the pump, But that was only three 12mm bolts and it popped right off. I was in a hurry so I didn't wait for them to pull the brackets from the donor motor. The shop is shipping them to me. I will update when I get them and attempt to attach the pump to the block

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I am in the process of rebuilding my donor pump, and it's not all that difficult.

The bearing I was able to find aftermarket, but it does need to be pressed onto the vane pump shaft.

I was able to get the pump shaft (with bearing attached), out of the housing pretty easily with a narrow punch from the opposite side, but the front shaft seal was a bit more difficult to pop out because you have to drive a punch from the opposite side, through the housing, right through the center of the bushing (bearing), so you have to be careful not to damage the bushing.

My donor pump has a bit of grooving on the front plate, in the vane housing, but I am going to take my chances and put it back together after I "flush out" my power steering fluid from the cooler and such.

I'll post up my outcome sometime soon.

EDIT: here is the TSRM section on inspecting and rebuilding the 2JZ power steering pumps.

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
I am going to attempt to use a USDM NA pump from a GS300, So far I have had to remove the resi from the pump, But that was only three 12mm bolts and it popped right off. I was in a hurry so I didn't wait for them to pull the brackets from the donor motor. The shop is shipping them to me. I will update when I get them and attempt to attach the pump to the block

Can the reservoir be used that comes with the GS300 pump? Did you take it off because you had to or because you wanted to? I think it would be a nice fit using it if possible.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
nevermind...brain fart. i know what it is and have part number.

also..i have found some good info...the 1jzgtte and the 2jzgtte pumps are the exact same pump, i got ahould of the 1j's factory toyota's part number and had my buddy at the dealer cross it in his system (usually peeps WILL NOT do this there) and he said it is the same as our U.S. 2jzgtte one. i ordered it...and it is infact identical. almost the same castings number too.

hope this helps out anyone else that was in my shoes trying to locate a "definate" answer to this. here it is. 100% the same pump.