1jz oil leak!!

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Well I have an oil leak that is decently bad the is coming from what looks like around the bellhousing. It is definitely engine oil and not tranny fluid. When I did my swap, I resealed the oil pan and replaced the rear main seal perfectly without putting a knick in the shaft or putting in the seal too deap, but I used an aftermarket seal:nono: . I also put silicone on the flywheel bolts to be safe. I opened up the inspection plate and it looks like it is coming from inside the bellhousing. I am going to go ahead and do the rear main again with an OEM gasket. Has anyone every had the rear of the sump leak on them when doing their swap or something else back their that leaked on them? (oil galley plug?)
Help greatly appreciated.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Tim said:
Well I have an oil leak that is decently bad the is coming from what looks like around the bellhousing. It is definitely engine oil and not tranny fluid. When I did my swap, I resealed the oil pan and replaced the rear main seal perfectly without putting a knick in the shaft or putting in the seal too deap, but I used an aftermarket seal:nono: . I also put silicone on the flywheel bolts to be safe. I opened up the inspection plate and it looks like it is coming from inside the bellhousing. I am going to go ahead and do the rear main again with an OEM gasket. Has anyone every had the rear of the sump leak on them when doing their swap or something else back their that leaked on them? (oil galley plug?)
Help greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by resealed? DId you just do that one part of the seal holder? Or the whole pan? Did you make sure that the seal was flush with the face of the holder?

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
The seal was flush with the holder when I installed it. I resealed the oil pan with silicone (the pan with the drain plug), but I left the big aluminum sump alone.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Tim said:
The seal was flush with the holder when I installed it. I resealed the oil pan with silicone (the pan with the drain plug), but I left the big aluminum sump alone.

Did you just take off the lower steel oil pan to get a dent out of it? If that's all you removed it would probably not look like the leak was coming from inside the bellhousing. When you say flush, you mean even with the outside edge of the seal holder right? If you push it in too far it will leak. If it looks like this then that's the problem:

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Yah I removed the lower pan just to get the dent out of it and resealed it with Nissan silicone which is great stuff. I am positive it is not leaking from their or the valve cover gasket. I made sure I didn't install the rear seal too deap beacause Aaron said that could happen. I am just going to have to remove the trans and inspect it.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
have you guys ever seen leakage from this sump area that I marked in red. I didn't touch anything in this area but from old age, maybe its leaking?

p666486_1.jpg

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I haven't gotten my trans out and won't be able too until the weekend. I see in the pic above that it is definitely leaking from the seal, but I was wondering if anyone else has has leakage from the area that I marked.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I was able to look at the back of th valve covers and they are clean with no oil their. I will just remove the trans and see whats up It is definitely inside the bellhousing becuase I can see the oil in their when I removed the inspection plates.