1jz no start issue VIDEO INSIDE

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
i just got everything wired in and i went to crank it and it cranks but doesnt turn over.

it sounds like it starts for a split second then nothing.

heres what happens

please forrgive the weird wiring, im just trying to get the car started and believe me it will be spotless.

im quite puzzled by this as i hear the engine turn over for a split second. I was thinking maybe coil packs of crank position sensor?any help or input would be greatly appreciated fellas.

Last edited:

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
the red wires are just regular primary wire for grounds. its a bit messy right now but im no stranger to wiring and it will be cleaned up but for now i need to start it.

my wiring was done by sean@myjzswap.com its pretty much "race wired"

to be honest im not sure if the ecu is good. i dont see a reason it wouldnt be unless it was shot to begin with. should i just open it up and check for burn marks around the capacitors?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya open it up and look for leaking capacitors.

havnt heard good things about the guys business so idk about his wiring. But are you not using the stock grounds that are on the intake manifold?

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
well i have one 4 gauge on the block to he chassis and one of those smaller red primary wires behind the head. i thought it was sufficient as my original bmw motor in there only had one 4 guage ground for the actual engine.

its def getting fuel, i have the fuel lines right to the threaded side of the fuel rail. im pretty sure thats right but i could be wrong.

hvy man: yeah i havent heard good things AFTER i sent him my harness. he was pretty good with me but i later found out he screwed like 3 people i know out of their money and harnesses.

im not using any ground for the intake mani do you suggest i should? i didnt think it was vital to running i dont have the tranny grounded either, should i?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need ecu grounds. There are 2 grounds on the intake manifold for the ecu. Grounding the block to the chassis and head is not going to do that.

They go from the ecu through the harness to the manifold.

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
ahhhhh i know which ones you are talking about yeah those are on the manifold.

its weird because ive never seen a car fire up for that split second but not turn over

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check the codes by jumping te1 and e1 and counting the check engine light flashes.

Also verify spark.
verify fuel.
verify the ecu is good.

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
in the morn i will pull apart the ecu and check for leaks.

i know im getting fuel so ill check the coilpacks and plugs an hopefully its just a silly oversight on my behalf and not a shit out of luck motor lol

just hook up a multi meter and make sure im getting 12v? also walk me through this cel thing. i dont have the cel wired in to the dash so is there a way to check the codes?

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Check the crank sensor, and cam sensor wiring.

I spent $700+ on a harness from a reputable shop in Georgia. TPS wires were backwards, and some leads were not even installed on the harness. One look at a schematic, and I realized things were wrong.

Do wiring yourself, or let someone you trust work on it.

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
RacerXJ220;1741239 said:
Check the crank sensor, and cam sensor wiring.

I spent $700+ on a harness from a reputable shop in Georgia. TPS wires were backwards, and some leads were not even installed on the harness. One look at a schematic, and I realized things were wrong.

Do wiring yourself, or let someone you trust work on it.

i was hoping it didnt come to going back in the harness and retracing everything.

im gonna look at crank and cam position sensors first as soon as im out of work, then im gonna check for spark im hoping its one of those things because i dont want to imagine a bonkers harness.

so what is the correct method to check for correct operation of these sensors?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I know you keep saying you have fuel..............but, when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump relay or do you hear your pump come on? When we wired mine up the very first time, I forgot to wire in the new fuel relay but that may only be when you're using the Stinger EMS.

Jeff could be dead on about the cam sensor and crank sensor not being wired in correctly.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Spray starter fluid while cranking. If all coils fire and it actually starts for a bit, fuel issue.

If it still runs as it does in the video, the ECU may not be able to "see" what's going on.

Check TPS, MAP, cam, and crank, make sure ignitor is grounded. Check caps inside ECU.

You're totally capable.

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
driver005s;1741331 said:
Hey where in ny are you located I can come help you out.
im in nassau in Long Island. id pay for your gas and beer if you wanted to lend a hand man, id really appreciate that.

my number is 516 998 6042 text or call me up and we can figure it out.

RacerXJ220;1741339 said:
Spray starter fluid while cranking. If all coils fire and it actually starts for a bit, fuel issue.

If it still runs as it does in the video, the ECU may not be able to "see" what's going on.

Check TPS, MAP, cam, and crank, make sure ignitor is grounded. Check caps inside ECU.

will do man, i will take some detailed video of what i try. that does make sense about the ecu not seeing whats going on cause i was figuring it was about to start but the it wasnt getting power to a necessary sensor so that is kind of the same thing.

i really appreciate you guys taking time out to help me, if there is anything i can do in return dont hesitate to ask.

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
ok i have an update on the situation.

im getting spark air and fuel which leads me to believe that its the ecu but before i concentrate on that could it be a bad igniter? im not exactly sure of its function.

im gonna try some shops and see if they have spare ecu's that i can borrow or maybe try mine in a already running car. im in long island NY so if any of you guys know a shop pr person with a extra working ecu or the time to swap them out id really appreciate that.

driver005s

Jul 30, 2010
South Richmond Hill, NY
Hey I give you a call but no answer
If you have fuel spark and air it should start.
The ignitor can't be bad cause your getting spark.
It could be compression or timing.
Btw how did you verify that your getting fuel?
Is your spark plug tip have haas on it?
The car did your 1j came out from?

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
I was under the car all night man im sorry. im gonna shoot you call as soon as i get off work at 6 if that ok? it was from a supra i believe since its rear sump, i got it from jdm engine depot in NJ.

yep the plugs have gas on them and i pulled the first 2 plugs and saw the spark from them so thats what leads me to the ecu being the culprit. i could be wrong though.
i verified fuel by having it leak from the fuel rail before i tightened it properly haha and since they were on the plugs along with the momentary firing when starting. if i have the right pressure in there might be a different story since i didnt use that fmu thing that was on the motor mount and just put my fuel line directly to the fuel rail.

i havent verified for sure but im pretty sure its getting compression cause ive had cars without compression and i can hear it with the plugs out. im also sure its on time because on the crank pulley the notches line up properly. it wouldnt hurt to check these things though.

so you guys think im on to something with the bad ecu though? i feel like internally the motor is good and its something preventing it from starting like its not receiving the signal from a vital sensor or the ecu isnt reading anything (because its dead lol) i cant open the ecu till i get out of work today so ill report back in the evening!