1jz mod advice

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
Im about to finish my swap into the starion, the first thing i want to do once i get it running is get rid of the twins, put my holset on and a safcII and 440 injectors with a walbro 255

whats a safe amount of boost i can run on this. id like to get up around 17 or so. Id like to make close to 400RWHP

cliff notes
Holset hx35 turbo
SAFC II
440 injectors.
Walbro 255
Hoping for around 17psi..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would have taken the twins off while the engine was out of the car.

And use a wideband. WIthout any sort of standalone or bcc you might be limited on what psi of boost you can run.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
For sure. Twins off while out of car..

But I made 22psi on my 440s and sfac.and I made 416 at 20psi on a smaller turbo I don't know the spec of your turbo but you should be able to get. To 400

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
Im limited on time with the swap, (im borrowing a shop on the weekends) its easier this way. plus where im swapping the car i want to make sure i have it in good running condition before i go upgrading changing things. i dont want to be chasing problems with say a safc or something on first start up..

My plan was get it in wired and running stock, then upgrade. nothing worse than chasing down a boat load of problems that could have been avoided..

The car has as wideband, AEM uego. I have all the necessary things to moniter my systems in place.

Im hoping with the holset and around 17-18 PSI ill break 400, just didnt know if the 440's would be enough. obviously i could go with the 550's and the resistor box, but the 440 is easier at this point so if i can use those and get what i want, ill be perfectly happy..

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
19cturbo;1923009 said:
Im limited on time with the swap, (im borrowing a shop on the weekends) its easier this way. plus where im swapping the car i want to make sure i have it in good running condition before i go upgrading changing things. i dont want to be chasing problems with say a safc or something on first start up..

My plan was get it in wired and running stock, then upgrade. nothing worse than chasing down a boat load of problems that could have been avoided..

The car has as wideband, AEM uego. I have all the necessary things to moniter my systems in place.

Im hoping with the holset and around 17-18 PSI ill break 400, just didnt know if the 440's would be enough. obviously i could go with the 550's and the resistor box, but the 440 is easier at this point so if i can use those and get what i want, ill be perfectly happy..

we have pretty much the same setup. but i'm running 14psi on 550's

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
So are you maxing anything out? i feel like the 440's should do the trick, even if i had to bump up the fuel pressure a bit, i have an aeromotive regulator. as long as i make over 400 at the ground, im happy.. drive the shit out of it..

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I was kind of wondering what the 440s were capable of as well, i seen a chart but they start 550 and go up to 1200 cc. I'm currently in the process of swapping my 370s out for the 440s, I got a blitz access ecu too to make up for the difference. I read your only suppose to run them at about 80% duty cycle incase of a lean spike. I figure they should be able to make 400 rwhp at 16lbs no problem though. But I;d like to know what my max boost would be. I have a feeling 18 is safe but my new turbos can prolly push 20.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Beals;1923312 said:
I was kind of wondering what the 440s were capable of as well, i seen a chart but they start 550 and go up to 1200 cc. I'm currently in the process of swapping my 370s out for the 440s, I got a blitz access ecu too to make up for the difference. I read your only suppose to run them at about 80% duty cycle incase of a lean spike. I figure they should be able to make 400 rwhp at 16lbs no problem though. But I;d like to know what my max boost would be. I have a feeling 18 is safe but my new turbos can prolly push 20.

It's doable, but if you do the basic injector math it is probably more than 80% of the injector's duty cycle. I'm really not surprised though that so many people are making 400whp; when DM flow tested my injectors at 43 PSI they all flowed 480cc.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
SupraMedical68;1923342 said:
It's doable, but if you do the basic injector math it is probably more than 80% of the injector's duty cycle. I'm really not surprised though that so many people are making 400whp; when DM flow tested my injectors at 43 PSI they all flowed 480cc.

This seems like it's typical of Toyota to rate things lower than what they are actually capable of so as to give you a wider margin for error/safety

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
I may just go ahead and slap in the 550's just to be safe. cant go wrong. Ive looked into wiring in a resistor for the injectors, probably one from a 7M looks like it would be much easier and work just as well as the 2j.

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
Anyone have any advice on tuning the SAFC2, just general. i understand how it works, ive done shit loads of reading, the low and high throttle settings though, people use such a wide range it seems.. ive seen 10 and 50, 30-70, 80-90. just curious if anyone had some pointers on where to start..

im going to be running 550 injectors and a holset hx35. looking to run around 17 psi if possible

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
here is what im thinking about doing, if this makes sense to anyone. i want to put the holset on there, with the stock injectors and the safc2 for now.. leave the holset at 10 psi which is where my wastegate will open. learn the safc2 a little bit, and play around with the settings. The stock injectors should be fine with the holest on 10psi i would assume. and once i feel more comfortable with using the safc, ill put in the 550's and slowly start turning up the boost.

anyone else see a problem with that? shouldnt the 370's be fine with the holset on 10psi for a minute as long as im not leaning out