1JZ is not running right, intermittent smoke, isnt revving right, tap

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
:yikes:

Well, I'll just give a rundown first of the symptoms and what I know is an issue.

1995 Sc300 with Soarer 1JZ manual trans swap...daily driven for 2 years prior to this issue.

1. I filled the tank with premium, ran it for 8 miles and all of the sudden then car cuts out on deceleration then cuts out a few more times(similar to a bad fuel ecu)
2. I found that 4 out of 6 coil packs have cracks under the boots
3. As it's sitting at idle for a few minutes I can rev it and it will emit some white smoke, but I think it's water vapor and there's also drops of water at the tailpipe
4. Today I noticed a tap, like a lifter tap up near cylinder 1 on the exhaust side. You can really hear it with a screwdriver against the front tow hook, but the tap seemed to subside and then I swear I could hear the coil pack arcing at the same time as that tap
5. If you rev it at the throttle body it seems to not have any balls, like it isn't revving freely.

thing's ive done so far-
1. checked the plugs and they looked ok
2. changed the plugs to ngk bkr7e(no change at all)
3. tried another Soarer ECU(no change at all)
4. check ecu for obvious cap leakage(none found)
5. made sure vacuum hoes were all tight(pulls really good vacuum)
6. removed IACV and cleaned it and (no change)
7. had alternator checked and it was reading flaky so I redid the alternator wiring and it's much cleaner now
8. checked for codes and there are none
9. not burning oil or losing coolant
10. had someone push the clutch pedal and the crank pulley doesn't seem to move as if it had crankwalk

Things I might do-
1. redo my fuel ecu bypass 12v mod wiring
2. drain all the fuel from the car
3. coil packs will be changed probably first
4. try another igniter

Ive read up and I seem to have a few things going on maybe cause it's emitting the smoke, there's a mechanical tap, the coils are fried, I just filled it up with gas

Any help would be appreciated.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Fuel is prolly not the problem as long as the engine is getting the fuel.

!2v mod is not going to help this unless the fuel ecu is bad.

Id fix the coil packs since cracks on them are no good.

Trying a good working igniter is a good idea.

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
AFRs are same as they always are 14-15

I think the coil packs are a good direction at this point and possibly the igniter to see what changes.

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
I'm running 20deg before top dead center at idle! WTF no wonder it has no balls..that's limping mode, but no check engine light or codes stored.

Checked the timing and the crank and cams matchmarks lineup properly so I really don't think it's a tooth off either.

When I rev it, the timing will jump up to 10deg BTDC, but will retreat back to 15-20

Anyone have ideas?

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Hmm...so I filled the tank up with gas and drive 8 miles then this seemed to start happening. I wonder if the gas is really bad?