1jz is acting up, i think its the ecu

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
okay, my car has been running good until about 3 days ago. it just all of a sudden it started acting up. it idles really rough like its missing really bad or is bogging out. then when i drive it, it lacks power and chokes, i can barely get it above 1,500 or around 2,000 rpms because it jerks so bad. it also throws code 14 but starts up fine and my tach kinda twitches and jumps around a few hundred rpms. like it will jump from 6-700 rpms to 9-1000 rpms then back. its not consistent though, sometimes when i start up my car it runs fine then i'll drive it for a while and it will start jerking and choking or it will start up choking and jerking then when i drive it, it goes away. from what i remember before it started choking and jerking it threw code for 14 and would not choke and jerk, i thought that was kinda wired so i ignored it not thinking it was anything major. i was thinking it could be my ecu after i did a search, i'm gonna check my ecu tonight for burnt or leaky caps. i thought it could also be my coil packs or the ignitor but from my searches ignitors usually don't go bad i guess. what are the syptoms for a bad ignitor and coil packs? could it be anything else? let me know what you guys all think.

thanks, toua

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Usually code 14 means the ECU crapped out since like you said, the ignitor rarely goes bad. The worst i've seen coilpacks do is cause a misfire at higher RPMs when they crack.

Also, just because you don't see any obvious issues with the caps in the ECU doesn't mean they are good. I would recommend replacing them regardless.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
where can i get them replaced? i live out in OK i don't think there is anyone here who can do it.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
how much does he usually charge to fix caps? so there probably isn't anything else wrong with it, just the ecu? if that is the case i might just get a new ecu like a mines or blitz but i don't feel like getting a new one and have it not be the problem and waste a couple hundred bucks

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Just because the caps are not leaking or burnt does not mean they are still good. I sent my ecu in and the caps looked fine but only 1 or 2 were actually still good. Some of the values were over double what they were suppose to be. Best bet is to send it to Aaron and he will replace the caps and test the ECU in a known working car.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
86_sports_1jz;1107660 said:
how about if i decide i wanted to get a mines, blitz, or jun ecu? where could i get one from?

why not try it first to send it to dm and get it fixed. it won't cost you an arm and leg. if you go with the mines or likes they around 400+ but who's to say they won't crap out eventually, remember these ecu's are just as old as the stock. Personally, if i have to spend over 500 dollars on upgraded ecu i rather spend the extra dough and get a standalone.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
lol man.... dude.... i'm in oklahoma, no one lives here! plus no one in this are has a 1jz auto soarer swap that i know of. i don't even think anyone has a 1j swap here.... i might be the first in this state. i've asked but no responds

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
OneJSupra;1109149 said:
why not try it first to send it to dm and get it fixed. it won't cost you an arm and leg. if you go with the mines or likes they around 400+ but who's to say they won't crap out eventually, remember these ecu's are just as old as the stock. Personally, if i have to spend over 500 dollars on upgraded ecu i rather spend the extra dough and get a standalone.

yea that is true, it was just a thought

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
When your ecu takes a shit, all sorts of crazy things start happening! My car would idle up to around 1500rpm, and then fluctuate between 1000-2000rpm, and go mega rich upon any throttle application. It was so unacceptable, I just parked it, untill I had another ecu to try. When I get around to it, I'm gonna send my original ecu off to Aaron @ Driftmotion for his cap service.:icon_bigg

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
yes that is what i'm gonna have to do too but i kinda still need this car to drive until my bro gets another car... its not totally bad yet its just acting funny from time to time but i'm gonna replace those caps before my ecu is completely useless

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
86_sports_1jz;1110884 said:
yes that is what i'm gonna have to do too but i kinda still need this car to drive until my bro gets another car... its not totally bad yet its just acting funny from time to time but i'm gonna replace those caps before my ecu is completely useless

Or you can also take it to a electrical place near you. When my brothers ecu from his stealth TT had leaking caps he took it to some local audio electical guy and he replaced all the caps in like 30 minutes. Its just a thought since you need your car everyday.

oowee623

SCS
Aug 13, 2007
Long Beach, CA
just send it to driftmotion i personally went to his shop to get them replaced and he finished it in like 3 minutes i had those exact symptoms you described before and now its been running strong since then